• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 1800X temps

Associate
Morning Guys,

I have just finished putting together my Ryzen 1800X build yesterday evening.

I am using a custom loop, with an Ax360, D5 pump and Raystorm pro block - The loop is fresh and Im using a T-Line so encouraging all of the air out of the system isn't the easiest task - This will be effecting the temps to some extent.

On first boot, I was getting 40 degrees Idle and 60-62 under stressed load - Are these temperatures what you would expect, or are they a little on the higher side ? I'm a bit disappointed, as I expected loaded temps of mid 50's, and idle temps of 35 degrees.....Everything is at stock. Literally booted for 3 minutes last night to check temps.

Any advice would be gratefully received.....

Thank you.

-Vinny-

Last edited:
Associate
Morning Guys,

I have just finished putting together my Ryzen 1800X build yesterday evening.

I am using a custom loop, with an Ax360, D5 pump and Raystorm pro block - The loop is fresh and Im using a T-Line so encouraging all of the air out of the system isn't the easiest task - This will be effecting the temps to some extent.

On first boot, I was getting 40 degrees Idle and 60-62 under stressed load - Are these temperatures what you would expect, or are they a little on the higher side ? I'm a bit disappointed, as I expected loaded temps of mid 50's, and idle temps of 35 degrees.....Everything is at stock. Literally booted for 3 minutes last night to check temps.

Any advice would be gratefully received.....

Thank you.

-Vinny-
I don't think that 3 minutes is enough to be able to tell how the temps will be under load.

Soldato
The 1800X has a 20 degree positive offset on its primary temperature sensor (as do all 'X' Ryzen chips). You can deduct 20 degrees from the number you see in most programs. Alternatively, download HWiNFO64 and look for the Tdie sensor. That will give you the true temperature (you'll also see Tctl next to it, which is the one with the offset).

Associate
OP
I don't think that 3 minutes is enough to be able to tell how the temps will be under load.

I agree - I was just asking if these temps are a reasonable ball park figure as a starting point.

Thanks Aretak - I though this had been solved though and the processors were reporting the correct temps nowdays !?

Thanks for advice this far.

Vinny.

Soldato
The offset is intentional on AMD's part, so it'll always be there. It's up to software developers to account for it (or simply read the Tdie sensor instead), so it'll depend entirely on the program in question. Some will display the offset and some won't. It's just like the FX CPUs and the weird way that their temperature was calculated, meaning many (in fact the vast majority of) programs didn't report their temperature correctly.

Associate
OP
The offset is intentional on AMD's part, so it'll always be there. It's up to software developers to account for it (or simply read the Tdie sensor instead), so it'll depend entirely on the program in question. Some will display the offset and some won't. It's just like the FX CPUs and the weird way that their temperature was calculated, meaning many (in fact the vast majority of) programs didn't report their temperature correctly.

Thank you mate - That clears that up quite nicely.

I'll have a look properly later, to be fair I literally just swapped the hard drives too, I've had no time to rebuild the OS or download anything I just used what I had already installed to give me a ballpark.

I'll have a proper look this sfternoon, rebuild the OS and download some proper monitoring hardware.

Thanks for the advice.

Vinny.

Associate
OP

Thank you for this advice Aretak.

I knew of the 20 degree offset but I think it was a sensor problem and not intentional - I didn't actually do a great deal of research when I bought the 1800X, so appreciate the bum steer.

Anyway, I downloaded Ryzen Master Idle temps - Between 28-32 degrees, loaded temps around 40 degrees.

At 3.9ghz and 1.28v I primed it yesterday for 3hrs, temperature are around 60 degrees....Does that seem about reasonable for that clock ?

Thanks in advance.

Vinny.

Soldato
Did you update the BIOS mate, if not potentially why you are not reading right.

HWInfo should be decent, temps do run generally high but something like up to 30c low load and 55-60c high is quite normal.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the assistance chaps !

I've updated to the latest BIOS - I'm still playing around with the clocks at the moment.

One issue I do have involves my Keyboard and mouse - None of the mentioned get power until I am booted into windows, which means getting into the BIOS is a pain in the backside; Am I doing something wrong - I have a Gigabyte Aorus K5 board. It made installing Windows 7, so I could upgrade to windows 10 a real headache....

TIA !

-Vinny-

Associate
Thanks for the assistance chaps !

I've updated to the latest BIOS - I'm still playing around with the clocks at the moment.

One issue I do have involves my Keyboard and mouse - None of the mentioned get power until I am booted into windows, which means getting into the BIOS is a pain in the backside; Am I doing something wrong - I have a Gigabyte Aorus K5 board. It made installing Windows 7, so I could upgrade to windows 10 a real headache....

TIA !

-Vinny-
the ryzen need windows 10, i would upgrade asap

Associate
OP
I have upgraded - I have Windows 10 Installed now; However, I still have the issue with accessing the BIOS...

When my PC is restarted, neither my K/B or Mouse are powered into I actually get into windows...

-Vinny-

Associate
OP
I've tried pretty much all the USB sockets mate.

It's from a complete shut down or restart.....The keyboard is dead until it boots the windows splash screen !

Thanks.

Vinny

Back
Top Bottom