Ryzen+ 2700 OC Guide

Associate
I have been looking for guidance or at least some overclocking results for the 2700 Ryzen+

I had got one on launch day and have since 'played around' with the overclock to find a two hour stability , yet I still have to do some fine tuning for better results . Or perhaps revert some of the overclocking done to extra gain stability

Basically the system appears stable for a few hours on Prime 95 but , when left overnight there is a lockup/freeze .

My gut feeling is that the memory overclock is causing this , as they are two pairs of corsairs (Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz 4 x 8 GB total ) , same model but with different revisions , one pair will clock to 3200 and boot without issue , the other pair will not boot at 3200 - so that's an indication of a memory issue

The CPU is clocked at X42 x 100mhz Base clock , with Vcore of 1.39 , SOC Voltage 1.13 . CPU VDD18 1.9V , CPU VDDP + 0.06V offset , DRAM 1.3 V , DDRVPP 2.58 V , DRAM Ter 0 .6V,

The memory is using XMP timings but multiplier is cranked up to give 3000Mhz
SOC and CPU LLC are set to Turbo

Specs are
Auros Gigabyte Gaming X370 K7
Ryzen 2700
4 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666
EVGA 1080TI SC
Corsair RM850 PSU
Fully custom watercooling

simple, its unstable, a 2700 unless you hit the jackpot wont do 4.2ghz
I beg to differ , what do you class as stable ? My 2700 will comfortably run 24Hrs Prime95 at 4.2 at 1.39 V , when I dial back the Ram speed ( stock XMP 2666Mhz) . The instability comes where I up the RAM speed . I am trying to justify the need to replace the modules - As I have said they will boot and run without issue at stock XMP settings (2666Mhz) but won't get through a stress test over a few hours at 3200 Mhz . The RAM part numbers are identical they're not different models , if you purchased two pairs from a store , there is a chance you could get different version numbers ( I have checked this with the stores) , Corsair employs RAM models with versions of the same model . 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 ~ 3.1 ( no idea why ) . I have contacted Corsair who have said there is no issues with mixing version numbers .

I have not yet seen evidence of the 2700x manually overclocking better than the 2700 , from my understanding the 2700x was produced to give better 'out the box PNP ( plug and play) performance through a boost technology .

In any case our mileage will vary - due to the silicon lottery . However I will digress , what RAM would be better to give 3200Mhz + and what performance benefit will I see ?

Your system is not stable as your CPU cannot run 4.2 unless very low memory speeds,

The RAM have 2666 XMP chips but will run stable up to 3066 . Since when is 3066 very low ? I would however say that the CPU is not stable at very high speed memory. Considering you can buy aftermarket DD4 as low as 2133Mhz … .

Anyhow I digress as I am trying to reach 3200 mhz and so , just purchased a pair ( 16GB) Flare X ( B-Die ) 3200Mhz CL14 . However I am experiencing some further phenomenon and issues . Even running everything at default, with XMP enabled , the system struggles with cold booting . After a few restarts , the system seems stable but , will struggle with cold boots.

Really Strange , my old Hynix ( 4 sticks ) memory running at lower speed ( 3066) offers better stability and overall better performance . I feel like it’s a pointless upgrade , as I have to loosen the timings to get 3200 to cold boot .

On memory, my Team Group T-Force pro 8Gbx2 3600Mhz runs absolutely bullet profit at 3400Mhz with the headline timings. I have personally never had memory run at it's advertised clock speed stable.
@PaulCa
Did you use XMP profile , then select a manual mem multiplier , or did you manually set timings based on XMP ?

XMP (DOCP) and override the clock setting.

EDIT: and for the sake of it, the CPU clocks and volts with AUTO + Asus core performance boost. Just milling around on the desktop browsing forums.

Would you happen to know the SOC CPU and RAM voltage ? It would be interesting to see these

I have my B-Die Flare X 3200 now running at the advertised speed since the August Bios was installed (F23 ) , CPU goes up to 4.2 also , happy days .

Back
Top Bottom