Ryzen 3 new build won't boot up??

Associate
I am experienced with PC builds but not with Ryzen.

I am current using:

• a Ryzen 3 1300X CPU,
  • an ASUS Prime B350-PLUS mother board,
  • a ZOTAC Geforce GTX 1050ti mini graphics card (plugged into the grey PCIeX16_1 slot),
  • 2 off SK hynix 8Gb 2133 Mhz RAM (plugged into slots 2 & 4) and
  • a 550W power supply (with 1 x 24 pin connector, 1 x 4 pin connector, 2 x SATA connectors and 3 X MOLEX connectors).
All connections, cards, front panel wires and CPU are installed correctly and checked.

When powered up the power LED lights up, the LEDs at the graphics card ports light up, fans on the CPU, graphics card, case, power supply start up and the Hard Drive powers up but I get nothing on the monitor or a boot up.

I'm not sure if I require a power supply with an 8 pin connector and not the 4 pin (which I was lead to believe is compatible with the Ryzen mother board) and it appears the reset button on the case doesn't operate (although this might be a separate issue).

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

its possible that the bios on the board you bought is old and it won't recognize that CPU. Initially the boards that came out only supported Ryzen 7. Later revisions of those boards support 5 and 3, but if you got an old board, then it's possible it doesn't know what to do with your CPU.

Very likely to be what mistersprinkles said. Try just one RAM stick in all four slots. If that doesn't work you can send the board back to the retailer for them to update the BIOS for you. Alternatively, send it back for a refund and purchase the Strix B350-F which has the right BIOS, even for Ryzen 3 https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/ .

Also agree with pastymuncher about the PSU. You should take the opportunity to get a proper one with 8pin/4+4pin EPS now you'll be a few days without motherboard anyway.

From the CPU support list, I think that the release BIOS should support the CPU. Have you tried to reset the CMOS?

The manual says it recommends an 8 pin but it doesn't say it is required.

What I was getting at is that if it's a super cheap psu which from his description it certainly seems to be, it probably doesn't have enough power for the pc. Cheap psu's are a false economy and aside from the fact that they are garbage only fit for the bin, will have nowhere near the stated power on the 12v rail where it's needed.

Hi guys, apologies for the delay! I changed the power supply and still nothing. I also tried the recommendations using only 1 RAM and checked the version of BIOS on the motherboard (which was more than up to date) and still nothing. I am thinking that either the motherboard is a dud or the CPU??

What make and model was the original psu and what make and model is it's replacement?
It's OK pasty he initially tried with a CiT 500W and then tested with an Ace Black 600W :D

(Just joking with pasty, N_Bradley - although, if this is close to the truth then follows pasty's advice.)

Last edited:
Joking aside though, from his initial description of the psu that wouldn't surprise me at all and is what I am concerned about.
Odds are your concerns are valid re: other PSU being of equal quality - as we've both been on threads where an OP removes their new'ish sub-par PSU and then tests with their older unit it replaced. It's the PSU Ouroboros effect :)

If he's ruled out the BIOS by entering the system the PSU would still be the a strong contender if the second unit was of similar spec.

@OP - it would be useful to know how you got into the BIOS, to check its version, and whether it was a 'very' minimal setup - i.e. 1 stick, CPU, gfx and nothing else? And if it buckles when you start to connect other components?

Plus, the details (brand/model) of both PSUs that you've tested with so far?

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay in responding, it has been the most frustrating time with this issue.
I have changed and upgraded the case, I have upgraded the power supply to an Aerocool Integrator 500W 12cm bronze 85% efficiency PSU and I have changed the motherboard to a GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 AMD Ryzen CPU AM4 Socket DDR4 PCIe Gen3 USB 3.1 GB LAN Micro ATX Motherboard and I still have no boot up.
The only thing I haven’t changed Ryzen 3 itself, could it have been this causing the issue?

Apologies for the delay in responding, it has been the most frustrating time with this issue.
I have changed and upgraded the case, I have upgraded the power supply to an Aerocool Integrator 500W 12cm bronze 85% efficiency PSU and I have changed the motherboard to a GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 AMD Ryzen CPU AM4 Socket DDR4 PCIe Gen3 USB 3.1 GB LAN Micro ATX Motherboard and I still have no boot up.
The only thing I haven’t changed Ryzen 3 itself, could it have been this causing the issue?

its the bios, @GIGA-Man should be able to help yourself out like they have done with other members on here flashing the bios if your unable to yourself, cant remember if the board has Q Flash or not .

If they perform it and it doesn't work then its the CPU- bit of a pain, but least you switched vendors as ASUS doesn't do this for you

if you've bought from OCUK they might be able to do this as well- but members have recently bought that board from here and has been out of stock for a few times so guessing its from a different store

and as the others stated, PSU upgrade

I hope you didn't forget to plug in the CPU power cable and just plugged in the motherboard power. I admit I may have done this a few weeks ago on my new build.... took me at least an hour or two of messing about trying to figure out why. Everything lit up and fans spun, I was fully confused. Then felt incredibly stupid when I realized.

dont get me wrong here guys but you have but ddr4 ram in havent you ? seeming as you have only decribed 2 off SK hynix 8Gb 2133 Mhz RAM (plugged into slots 2 & 4) this.

from memory isnt sk hynix a server ram also ?

I know its along shot but its worth an ask

This could well be done to memory compatibility, do you have the exact model and make of the memory? It could be you need to up date to a newer BIOS.. if that's the case we can do that for you if needed.

Back
Top Bottom