Ryzen 3700X and 3600MT/s RAM troubles

Associate
Hey folks

I got a Ryzen 3700X from OcUK and recently decided to replace my 3000MT/s RAM with 3600MT/s, so I ordered the 8pack T-Force 16-16-16-36 16GB kit and immediately found failures with memtest86+. RMA'd it fine, just put the replacement kit in this morning and I'm still getting failures (both times it's been with Test 7, but this kit is throwing more errors). They're not just memtest false positives, games also crash after a little while, and eventually Windows will BSOD (where my previous Corsair kit is completely stable for hours and hours of gameplay).

If I disable XMP, this kit passes memtest86+ fine, so I'm wondering if it could be that my 3700X's IMC/IF just can't handle running at 1800MHz? I know AMD said that 3600CL16 is the sweet spot, but it's also the highest speed the IF is supposed to run at, so maybe it's not perfect on all chips?

I don't really want to get into an annoying game of RMA'ing things to OcUK left and right - it wastes my time, their time and probably costs them a load of money to deal with, so I'm wondering if y'all have any suggestions. My only thought at this point is to try and come up with some RAM timings that slowly increase the MT/s until I find the point where the system becomes unstable, but that doesn't really help me figure out which component is not working properly.

For reference, my motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus B450 I Pro Wifi (ITX) running the latest BIOS with the AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB, my PSU is a Corsair SF750 and my GPU is an EVGA 2080Ti XC, disk is an addlink NVMe on the motherboard, and the CPU is cooled with a Fractal Designs Celcius S24, and it's all bundled together in a Louqe Ghost S1.

Soldato
Well.... to test it out, leave your FCLK at 1800MHz and run your ram at it's default slowest speed and game on it for a good amount of time and that will tell you if your FCLK is OK.

My FCLK also tops out at 1800MHz, anything higher and I know about it as audio is crackly in windows.

As for ram, leave the timings as is and up the dram voltage to 1.4v. That's what I have done.

Associate
Im spacing a build at present, and asked for 16GB of 3600 RAM (as Im going 3700x as well) - but was advised my 2 different suppliers to go for 3200 as they were getting a lot of stability issues with 3600.

Im really torn now as to what to spec....

Associate
Im spacing a build at present, and asked for 16GB of 3600 RAM (as Im going 3700x as well) - but was advised my 2 different suppliers to go for 3200 as they were getting a lot of stability issues with 3600.

Im really torn now as to what to spec....

I bought 3200 but I have them OC to 3600. 8 Pack modules are b-die so getting an OC on them should not be an issue. One note, my system did load and perform better at 3600.

Back
Top Bottom