• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3700X voltage

Soldato
Hi,

I've seen various discussions about voltages, but less about my situation.
When my system is idling, Ryzen Master reports my Peak Core Voltage and Average Core Voltage at around 1.37v to 1.4v:
EWoBpUP.png

Under load with cinebench, the voltage drops down to a more acceptable voltage:
3yzxxaD.png

I couldn't really find anything for why my idle voltage is so high. I updated my AMD chipset driver, and tried the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan with no change.

Associate
1.4V at low load / idle is not high, it is normal. Forget everything you know about pre-Ryzen processors and Intel processors, it does not apply here.

In stock configuration, Ryzen will use "high" voltages (1.4V+) while at idle / low load. In this state though, the current used (and therefore power draw) is minimal so very little heat is produced because the core is not doing anything. It does this to increase responsiveness to transient loads - think of it as the processor is poised ready to ramp up instantly. With heavier loads, voltage will drop to 1.2V or so, as you have observed.

Back
Top Bottom