• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 1600

Associate
I would like to announce that after a brief period of running Intel only CPU's for the last thirty-two years I have just put up the cash to purchase a Ryzen 5 1600. The operation to introduce the new processor to its equally new sibling parts is scheduled for the forthcoming bank holiday weekend.

Associate
OP
Thanks.
Asus Prime X370-Pro
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 - (2x8GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4

Plan to keep GTX 1060 6GB and Corsair 620W PSU for now and see how they shape up.

Associate
Thanks.
Asus Prime X370-Pro
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 - (2x8GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4

Plan to keep GTX 1060 6GB and Corsair 620W PSU for now and see how they shape up.
I have the very same components mate and it runs beautifully. I have just removed my Corsair h100i as I started to worry about it failing after the 3 years I have had it. It doesn't sound to wonderful these days so I bought a Noctua D15s with an am4 mounting kit.

I have to say that the Noctua stuff is high quality even down to the packaging.

Make sure to update the bios to the latest before anything else.

Associate
OP
Out of interest what did you come from and what differences did you see?
I have a core 2 quad - Q9550 - so I do need an upgrade! I've been holding off for ages hoping AMD would deliver something for me to try because it's time for something new. I am waiting for the parts to arrive and will build the machine over the week-end so I won't know how it performs for a week or so.

I have the very same components mate and it runs beautifully. I have just removed my Corsair h100i as I started to worry about it failing after the 3 years I have had it. It doesn't sound to wonderful these days so I bought a Noctua D15s with an am4 mounting kit.

That is reassuring because I was having a few concerns around the memory in particular having read the various problems others have been reporting with Ryzen chips and memory in general. I will take your advice and update the BIOS as my first action - assuming I get that far in the first place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Well done :)

I'm surprised you stayed Intel during the late 90s/early noughties, especially in that funny 200-400mhz era when they shared motherboards! I was buying a new cpu every couple of months in those days :')

Soldato
It is indeed but I'm still not sure if I want to keep the NF-S12A I recently bought. Unlike the NF-P12s that came with my CPU heatsink, the S12A has an annoying hum that is very audible even with the low noise adapter. Not sure if I'll get used to it or not.

Associate
Nice one!

I've been planning a 1700 build for the summer but you know what I think I may have a re-think. I think the 1600 now with an upgrade to a zen+/zen++ chip in say 2 years would be a nice upgrade path, especially coming from my ancient 3570K.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Nice one!

I've been planning a 1700 build for the summer but you know what I think I may have a re-think. I think the 1600 now with an upgrade to a zen+/zen++ chip in say 2 years would be a nice upgrade path, especially coming from my ancient 3570K.

1600 is by far the best value for money CPU out at the moment. At £200 it's a steal.

Soldato
I cannot claim 32 years, I had an Intel 286-12 in 1990 and a 486DX-33 in 1993. In 1994 I bought my first non Intel upgrade, a 486DX2-80. Since then, some 23 years I have had an AMD as my home PC. I have built plenty of PC's with Intel, but had a soft spot for AMD particularly in the early 2000's. Now on a 1700 R7

Associate
OP
I cannot claim 32 years, I had an Intel 286-12 in 1990 and a 486DX-33 in 1993. In 1994 I bought my first non Intel upgrade, a 486DX2-80. Since then, some 23 years I have had an AMD as my home PC. I have built plenty of PC's with Intel, but had a soft spot for AMD particularly in the early 2000's. Now on a 1700 R7
I too had a 286, 386, 486 and a 486DX-66. However my starting point was an Amstrad 1512 - which came with twin 5 1/4inch floppy drives. Hard drives were still an expensive gleam in IBM's research labs back in 1985!

Associate
I have a core 2 quad - Q9550 - so I do need an upgrade! I've been holding off for ages hoping AMD would deliver something for me to try because it's time for something new. I am waiting for the parts to arrive and will build the machine over the week-end so I won't know how it performs for a week or so.

Q9550! God damn, enjoy your upgrade!

Soldato

Have you managed to get the Corsair RAM running stable @ 3.2Ghz on the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO as their seems to be conflicting views on this from some of the reviews I've been reading (Might just be numptys not understanding BIOS update & settings)

Cheers for any info

Associate
Have you managed to get the Corsair RAM running stable @ 3.2Ghz on the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO as their seems to be conflicting views on this from some of the reviews I've been reading (Might just be numptys not understanding BIOS update & settings)

Cheers for any info

3200 is a issue on any board, unless you have samsung b-die

Soldato

Cheers for any info

Have got corsair running at 3200 on the CH6 however its only stable at 2400. B-die is the best at the moment. This might change in May but I'm not expecting much.

Associate
OP
I have completed the build and it started first time with no problems. The motherboard (X-370 Pro) came with BIOS v5.04 out of the box so I flashed up to the latest as suggested and am now on v6.04. My Corsair Vengeance memory is running at 2100 which is the highest SPD value it supports although it is rated at 3200 if overclocked. So I will leave it there for today as I want to install my programmes then hopefully I wil have time tomorrow (Formula 1 allowing!) to get into the BIOS proper and see how far towards the optimal I can take. However from the various articles I have been reading on the Ryzen memory issues it doesn't seem to affect the fps values being recorded in games that much. Does that seem right to anyone who has already been down this path?

Back
Top Bottom