• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 question

Associate
if you wasn’t so impatient there would have been another post saying thanks to everyone. I was just looking into flashing the bios
And tbf you was being a bit of a penis

Anyway thanks for all the help and info guys. Really didn’t think updating bios was as easy as it is

Not sure if you made your purchase yet or not, but the MSI boards (Tomahawk and Gaming Pro Carbon B450s) seem to be having real trouble with the BIOS that lets them update to using 3000 series chips.

I'm sure MSI will release a fixed BIOS by next week but perhaps hold off on the purchase until then.

Associate
Between the 2600 and 2600X, just overclock the 2600.

Having said that do look at the 3600, its a much better CPU for not a lot more :)

Solved....
----------------------------------------

Any idea which mobo should be the one to use with the 3600? (idea here is to avoid any odd problems with the mobo, etc).

ty

Last edited:
Associate
Solved....
----------------------------------------

Any idea which mobo should be the one to use with the 3600? (idea here is to avoid any odd problems with the mobo, etc).

ty
i would suggest an x570 board as they do not need a bios update but they are pretty pricey at the moment, you could also get a B450 board or an x470 for a lot less but will need a bios update some retailers do offer a service to do this for you though

Associate
I can see that the 3600 has a huge IPC gain compared to 2600 but the reviews are with a 2080Ti.

Would there be any noticeable difference when paired with mid range cards like the 1660Ti or would it be just about 5% max at 1080p?

Associate
i would suggest an x570 board as they do not need a bios update but they are pretty pricey at the moment, you could also get a B450 board or an x470 for a lot less but will need a bios update some retailers do offer a service to do this for you though

ty, I decided to go with this one:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450-tomahawk-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33t-ms.html

I can see that the 3600 has a huge IPC gain compared to 2600 but the reviews are with a 2080Ti.

Would there be any noticeable difference when paired with mid range cards like the 1660Ti or would it be just about 5% max at 1080p?

Maybe you should go see if you can set something up? For myself, I am upgrading half of my system now and the rest later, so cpu and mobo upgraded, but older graphic card which works very well for what I use it for.

ty

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Will be buying the components on 24th July. I have thought about getting the X570 version of the carbon pro but price is putting me off a little. Will see if there is an updated bios before purchase then decide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom