• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5900x idle temps 55c!!!

Associate
Got my 5900x under water (monoblock) Vcore set to offset -0.1 Everythng else set to auto apart from Ram tuning. Boost still works just fine.
The higher end ASUS Boards do like to push voltage 1.4v-1.5v.

Idle temp at 30c - Water temp settles around 27.3c - In the morning its nice and cool so it can idle around 27c - fwiw using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Applied accross the chip in a thin layer to begin with then one dot above the IO and each chiplet.
General desktop usage its up and down from - 35-44c
GPU also in the loop idles around - 32c
Max game temp is - 65c - GPU - 55c
Max all core temp running CB R20 - 60c - 1.17v - 4.3Ghz

Associate
Got my 5900x under water (monoblock) Vcore set to offset -0.1 Everythng else set to auto apart from Ram tuning. Boost still works just fine.
The higher end ASUS Boards do like to push voltage 1.4v-1.5v.

Idle temp at 30c - Water temp settles around 27.3c - In the morning its nice and cool so it can idle around 27c - fwiw using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Applied accross the chip in a thin layer to begin with then one dot above the IO and each chiplet.
General desktop usage its up and down from - 35-44c
GPU also in the loop idles around - 32c
Max game temp is - 65c - GPU - 55c
Max all core temp running CB R20 - 60c - 1.17v - 4.3Ghz

Vcore set to offset -0.1 is aggressive for your CPU. I suggest you check for clock stretching on Cinebench R20 you tested.

Associate
Vcore set to offset -0.1 is aggressive for your CPU. I suggest you check for clock stretching on Cinebench R20 you tested.

It seems to be stable but you could be right? Where in r20 will I see this?

This is a run through R20.

aaJGHyU.png

tR1QLfl.png

Last edited:
Associate
Well the screenshot you showed looks like clock stretching.Clock stretching will show high stable clocks/system but degraded real world performance. Now the way to correct this is apply a proper amount of voltage to CPU. This is up to you to test your own CPU on the correct voltage. I suggest test default settings,test performance settings and test CPU offset voltage @ -0.1/0.0875/0.0750/0.050/0.0375/0.0250/0.0125.
Compare results and you may be surprised.

Your Cinebench R20 scores when properly set for your CPU under water approximately be and just a guess for me since I have a 5800X.I am just trying to help out a little and in no way telling you how to run your computer.
Single 640- 655 range
Multi 8800-9200

My 5800X test I just ran on R20.

Associate
A big part of this puzzle is the way AIOs work. AIOs are great at keeping max temps low but aren't very good when it comes to soaking up initial heat. This is why when you put any sort of load on a CPU you'll notice the temps go from 30c to 60c+ instantly and then slowly raise and eventually top out.

This is much more noticeable with these Ryzen processors due to the way they are designed to boost frequently. I've noticed this boosting behaviour seems to be linked to the fabric clock. I've found the higher my fabric clock is set to the more frequently the processor will boost from idle. The heat being generated by the vcore automatically increasing when the boost activates.

Associate
I have a 5950x under a custom loop. 2x 360 rads, gpu and vrms, Got it oc'ed to 4.5 1.3v.
i've had to reapply thermal paste as i had poor contact but mine now tops out at 82c on a r23 run, idles around 41-45 and games in the mid 60's

Associate
one thing im wondering about my 5900x is, for example when i play deep rock galactic. the cpu only has 30% usage but is still at 70c. then i play doom 2016 and it uses 20%, cpu still running at 67c plus.
it seems like the cpu runs at 70c when gaming no matter what the usage.

Soldato
I have the Coolermaster 240 Masterfluid AIO on my 5900X and it is currently idling at 42c as I type this while monitoring HWInfo, max is 71c - 75c under load. At true idle it will drop to 36c. I use the Motherboard entries for my ASUS TUF Gaming X570 (TSI 0). This corresponds to what Core Temp and GPU-Z show for CPU Temp.

So it might be worth making sure you have the right entry. If you are still getting that under load then look at re-seating the cooler.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom