1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5950x high core voltage while idling

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Aleksandar Miljkov, 22 Jul 2021.

1. Aleksandar Miljkov

Associate

Hi Guys

Can someone please help me to figure out why my 5950x idles between 1.4-1.5v? I'm currently only having 2 chrome tabs open but it still idles at a super high voltage in my opinion - which in return also affects the temps.

https://postimg.cc/ygnDWkRG

EDIT: this is stock. I've tried fiddling around with PBO curves. Unfortunately, nothing changed. The high idle voltage still remained the same.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2021
  2. wookiee87

Wise Guy

your high idle voltages are because you have chrome open that browser takes a lot of ram and uses some of your cpu core to delivery the best experence, open taskmanager and check the cpu tab, if you click it the background app or process will be at the top with a reading how much cpu is being used.

i'm a fellow 5950x owner and have had no such issues but there again i use firefox and disable all background apps to keep things cool, plus i have a manual voltage set in my bios of 1.25v max, my cpu is using pbo too and i see 5ghz on most cores for a time and usally settles back to 4.5-4.6ghz in games at my manual voltage of 1.25v via the bios.
    When i exit and settle back to the windows desktop i see my cpu drop back around 3.5-3.9ghz and remains nice and cool (my cpu usage is around 2-5% idle in windows)

my temps are around the low 40's at idle and under heavy game load i see close to 70 degrees, i run a noctua nh12 black cooler in push pull

Last edited: 22 Jul 2021
  3. Freddie1980

Sgarrista

If you haven't already try installing Ryzen Master and try playing around with the Profiles.

4. Loxa

Wise Guy

High voltage at idle is normal, it lowers the voltage when it becomes under load.

5. Tanin'iver

Gangster

Yep, I've experienced the same thing. It seems "normal" for this CPU, at high idle temps too.

Check your system for background processes using any amount of CPU time - use Ryzen Master too so you can view the load and clock speed of each core at idle.

Once I tweaked my system a bit and removed all sources of CPU use at idle (even MSI Afterburner was using a few % since it had starting monitoring all the cores...) my idle voltage is about 1.13v

As soon as you get moderate use of just a single core though, boom! 1.4-1.5v and quick temperature spike. The voltage is actually lower with all cores loaded.

EDIT: Make sure to use Ryzen Master to monitor the voltage too, not HWInfo. I'm not convinced 3rd party tools can report this CPU properly. Core Temp for example tells me my CPU is using 1.48v at the same time Ryzen Master says 1.1. Since Ryzen Master is from the people who make the CPU, I'm more inclined to trust what that's telling me.

6. amigafan2003

Capodecina

Perfectly normal.

7. alec

Wise Guy

Not THAT normal.
    Normal idle is 0.9V and clocking down below 2.5GHz. Hitting as low as 1.8GHz after latest bios update for me

But if any sort of background activity keeps CPU from full idle, it will be showing high voltage.
    As you can see from temps and power, most parts of CPU are deep asleep and high volts are not reaching them.

So mostly you can ignore that, just a number. But also look if you have any bacground apps you don't need. Think RGB software and game clients like Epic are the usual culprits. In my case when qbittorrent is running in background CPU won't downclock.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2021
  8. Joxeon

Soldato

In the PBO menu try using curve optimizer to set a neagtive offset which should bring the voltages down a bit.

9. Grim5

Sgarrista

anything up to 1.5v is 100% normal at idle

10. kitfit1

Mobster

1.5v is normal. But of course it isn't the actual voltage anyway, it's only the maximum voltage. If you look at my pic, the average is 0.965v. Maybe people need to look at what they are actually using rather than crying Wolf over the maximum.

[​IMG]

11. Purgatory

Mobster

I will chime in too, It's normal and ignore the people saying it isn't.

At Idle the voltage is high and when under load the voltage drops as you will see. Normal behaviour of a Ryzen chip.