Ryzen 7 HomeLab Memory Query

Associate
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice on creating a Ryzen 7 home lab machine. I've just converted my old gaming PC into FreeNas and created RAID10 volume with 4 x 4TB.
I'm looking to build a Ryzen 7 machine to run ESXi for home lab. I want to have at least 16GB of RAM in here and also use at least 1 x SSD (or M.2) for storing VM's.
I'll probably use the FreeNas to create an iSCSI dataset that can be presented to the ESXi host and will probably only use this for VM backup.
----------------------------------------
My query is about the memory speed I could/should use for this machine.
I have an i7 6700K gaming PC with 16GB of DDR4 3000 memory. I noticed yesterday that this RAM has dropped £33 in price and I'm looking to buy another 16GB. The intention is to put this into my current gaming PC (as I currently use VirtualBox on this for my current labs). However if/when I build the Ryzen 7 box I was thinking I could use this RAM in it.

Is DDR4 3000hz the speed of memory I should be looking at for Ryzen 7?
Gaming PC is using...
Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit

Let me know what you think
Thanks a lot

Associate
For Home lab stuff I used to run freenas in vmware workstation, Dont spend any real money on a new pc. As you said just add more Memory into your current pcs. If you need extra power buy a use optiplex or something as you can pick them up for like £100 - £150.

I ran 2 hyper v + dc + freenass of a i7 3770k and 16GB memory :)

Back
Top Bottom