• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 vs Intel i7 ??

Associate
Hi all,
Building a new pc shortly and doing usual research. Have most components sourced but after reading & watching thousands (literally) of reviews, posts & videos - there's no clear conclusion. Any chance of some views please?
First off, I am not a gamer - not even a little bit. But I have 4 x 27" 1080p monitors to drive, I dabble in some encoding and nearly always have multiple processes on the go across all monitors at any one time. Hence, I was leaning towards the 3700x from Ryzen, but then plenty of other reviews sprang some doubt. I was looking at the i7 10700 also from Intel but it is pricey and requires a new MB for the 1200 chipset. Both cpu's could well be overkill for my needs (?) but it seems impossible to obtain a clear winner from all reviews. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Man of Honour
The 3700X and 10700 are both good CPUs, but AM4 offers you more upgrade potential in terms of number of cores, if that's something you might need more of in the future.

Associate
OP
Thanks to all for the replies - kinda resolved the little bit of doubt that was beginning to creep in about Ryzen. I'll also check out the 3900 (non-x) for comparison against the 3700x/3800x - thanks. Didn't even consider anything other than the x570 MB, so might take a look at what other options are available for the Ryzen 7 / 9.

Associate
OP
Probably a stupid question.....but aside from what Google will spit out, any suggestions for good websites on where to buy cpu's and/or MB's, general PC stuff, etc these days? (I've been out of the loop for a while.) Checked the usual Amazon, but they're not great for some stuff. Trying to stay away from US sites and keep thing closer to this side of the pond. Got my case & a few bits from OC, but wouldn't mind a couple more options if possible. Again, thanks to all for your input - appreciate it.

Man of Honour
Probably a stupid question.....but aside from what Google will spit out, any suggestions for good websites on where to buy cpu's and/or MB's, general PC stuff, etc these days? (I've been out of the loop for a while.) Checked the usual Amazon, but they're not great for some stuff. Trying to stay away from US sites and keep thing closer to this side of the pond. Got my case & a few bits from OC, but wouldn't mind a couple more options if possible. Again, thanks to all for your input - appreciate it.

You can run the 3000 series as well as the upcoming 4000 series on all b450, x470, b550 and x570. Basically find a board with the VRM and features you like and away you go. You can even run a 3950x on a a320 board if you really wished but its a bad idea. As for recommendations, because the forum is linked to the overclockers web shop and they pay for the upkeep of these great forums we aren't allowed to advise on competitors or where to get the cheapest prices.

Man of Honour
Ahhhhhh my bad, sorry bout that. I'll keep googling so. Thanks for the other info...

That's all good, personally given what you are doing you probably don't need x570, unless you want to have plenty of gen4 nvme. Some of the most popular and best value combos are, MSI B450 Tomahawk or Mortor boards along with just about anything up to a 3950x, although personally im not a fan of msi business practices and avoid their hardware where possible. B550 offers a gen 4 pci-e, and a single gen 4 nvme with the rest of the lanes being gen 3, while x570 is gen 4 straight through including the chipset. B450 sticks with the gen 3 stuff which is more than enough for 99% of use cases.

For the wifes machine I am running the b450 Aorus M (because I avoid msi) alongside a 3rd gen 3600 chip but that board at less than £100 could quite happily handle a more power hungry chip. Stick a 3900 or a 3900x in one and im sure you wouldn't be disappointed with performance. Really features and power delivery are the only things you need to decide on over the 4 and 5 series boards, the MAX boards from MSI have larger bios chips specifically to accommodate 4th gen ryzen and is partly responsible for their popularity.

Associate
OP
Looks like I made the right call asking the Q's here - thanks so much for your help & info, hugely appreciated. Kinda scary how much things have progressed since my last build. Think I used an Asus P6T deluxe in that build?
Wasn't planning to use any gen4 nvme at the mo, but I do like to future-proof to some extent as I'm sure I'll use one in the near future. Will look at B550's so and see if there's a big diff between prices compared to x570. Massive thanks again.

Man of Honour
Looks like I made the right call asking the Q's here - thanks so much for your help & info, hugely appreciated. Kinda scary how much things have progressed since my last build. Think I used an Asus P6T deluxe in that build?
Wasn't planning to use any gen4 nvme at the mo, but I do like to future-proof to some extent as I'm sure I'll use one in the near future. Will look at B550's so and see if there's a big diff between prices compared to x570. Massive thanks again.

x58 was a pricey platform for sure but those early i5 and i7 chips are certainly showing there age these days. You do get a lot of value in comparison when building at the moment and AMD have really opened up the mid range by offering an "any chip, any platform" approach, in itself that means great value for money build are possible and you really don't compromise much, you don't need to spend an awful lot to build a fast capable system while also being value conscious in today's market. imo b550 right now is where the sensible mans money goes ;)

Permabanned

Germany is a good place to buy.

Associate
OP
Hi all and thanks for your replies to date. I'm in the final stages of picking the remaining components for my new build and hoping for your input/expertise on a GPU...
As per my initial post, I am not a gamer (not even a little bit), but I am driving 4 x 1080p 27" monitors all the time and usually encoding a couple of things at any given time. My setup at the mo is as follows and I'm trying to source a gpu that will ideally have output jacks & the capabilities to feed the 4 x monitors (without having to get into adapters). (Probably should add that monitors only have hdmi (as well as vga) so daisy-chaining with d-link isn't an option.

MB: Msi tomahawk x570
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
Mem: 2x8gb ddr4
PSU: probably a Corsair or beQuiet 750W supply (haven't got this yet) but by all accounts so far, 750w should be loads without being excessive?
GPU: ???

All suggestions or knowledge is welcome for gpu (and psu).

Thanks in advance all...

Soldato
My setup at the mo is as follows and I'm trying to source a gpu that will ideally have output jacks & the capabilities to feed the 4 x monitors (without having to get into adapters)

I don't think you'll find 4x HDMI cards out there. I'm not even sure there are 2x... and VGA is very much a dying option. The future is displayport, apparently.

The good news is, displayport to HDMI cables seem to exist and might be all you need :)

Depending on your budget and layout, you might find 3x 32" displayport screens work better - and you can definitely find triple DP cards.

Associate
OP
Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware that vga is old school, but has been handy for cat6 to vga baluns needed to run a couple of things when cat6 to hdmi baluns wasn't an option. Cabling is fine, I have a few hdmi to DP leads already so that's not an issue, it was more finding a suitable gpu without going into the realms of a 2080 super, or something that's totally overkill for my needs given that I won't be gaming.

Man of Honour
Does the GPU need to support anything in hardware, re: encoding?

p.s. hate to be brutal but the 3800X is pretty much pointless over the 3700X, I'd rather go for a 3900 non-X.

Back
Top Bottom