• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen - Hold off or pull trigger

Associate
I'm planning to put together a Ryzen system, however noticed that Intel should be announcing the 9 series CPU any week now.

Do you think Ryzen prices will be affected by the new Intel launch? I'm not sure whether to just build a Ryzen system now, or wait a month or two.

Soldato
I think the Intel will be, let's say, a premium priced product. So I doubt AMD prices would move by much if at all. I vote for pull the trigger.

Permabanned
They might drop a little I guess it all depends how aggressive Intel are with their pricing. I wouldn’t expect it immediately as shortage issues and shiny tax may keep the new 8 core cpus from bothering Amd price wise, but once normality resumed they may well adjust prices to suit, at that point Zen 2 might not be that far away.

Soldato
I think the Intel will be, let's say, a premium priced product. So I doubt AMD prices would move by much if at all. I vote for pull the trigger.
And even if Intel themselves won't put price higher than in Coffee Lake, possible availability problems from Intel's production capacity problems likely keep price at "good" level.

Soldato
I reckon AMD might reduce 2700X prices. Intel will probably pitch their 8C/8T CPU around that sort of price. Then again the 2700X has already had informal cuts selling well below release prices.

Soldato
If you want to go Ryzen you can always buy an X470 motherboard and a cheaper CPU now then drop in a 7nm Zen2 early next year. If you buy right you shouldn't lose too much on an upgrade.

I don't see Intel dropping the price on anything. They have a loyal customer base, a premium positioned new product coming out that will no doubt be priced above the 8700K and they have capacity issues. Don't discount their hubris either ;)

Soldato
I went and picked up a Ryzen 5 2600. I'm going to overclock it, should be a good little runner for a while. As said, can throw a better cpu in any time until 2020!

Good choice, you can wait around for ever for prices to come down. I've just ordered a Ryzen 5 2600 system myself but I've gone for the standard version as the overclockable one was about £ 50 more and then you need a decent cooler as well and I couldn't justify it, running it at stock is a massive upgrade anyway from my i5-2500k.

Back
Top Bottom