Ryzen Memory Help

Soldato
Hi guys, I hope you can help me with an issue I am having.

I built my Ryzen machine a few months ago but have not been able to get my RAM up to a decent speed, I know there were a lot of issues to start with regarding memory so I waited for bios and microcode updates etc, I am running the latest bios for my board.

My system is a Ryzen 1700, MSI X370 gaming pro carbon mobo and Corsair Vengeance LPX C16 3200MHz 32gig memory kit. The fastest speed I have been able to achieve is 2800MHz but I am pretty clueless with memory to be honest so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Associate
I think it depends on various things like:

- what memory chips they are using e.g. Samsung B-die, Hynix M-die, Hynix A-die, etc.
- how many sticks of RAM e.g. 2 sticks or 4 sticks, and did you buy a single kit or did you buy 2 kits and try to join them together (not recommended).
- whether they are single rank or dual rank.
- what options you have available in your Bios.

First, find out your exact part number for all your memory and check what is written on the memory sticks regarding rated frequency, primary timings and DRAM voltage.

You can use tools like CPU-Z and Thaiphoon Burner to get some more useful information about the RAM. I think corsair also come with different versions printed on the sticks where I have seen v4.31 is usually Samsung B-die and v5.39 is Hynix. Thaiphoon Burner will be able to tell you type of memory chips they use.

You could check the motherboard QVL list and check if you RAM is on there. It might give you a clue what settings to pick in the Bios.

Some RAM have XMP profiles which tell the Bios what settings to use for that RAM overclock profile but my understanding is XMP is more for Intel platform and AMD use DOCP. The DOCP option in Bios may or may not work for you. You will probably have to try various settings until it works or drop down to a lower frequency or relax the timings. Usually you can start by manually inputting your frequency, primary timings and DRAM voltage and see if that works. You may also need to set the SOC voltage and some other Bios settings may be useful depends on your memory and motherboard e.g. Command rate 2T CR can be very beneficial for stability with high memory clocks, or for 4-DIMM configurations.

Another option could be to search forums with your exact Memory part number and motherboard and try to find some suggestions. Or find information based on similar kit, check they are using the same memory chips (Samsung B-die, Hynix M-die, Hynix A-die), same number of Dimms, and same rank e.g. single rank or dual rank.

Once you have successfully booted you might want to run some memory stabillity tests to confirm they are good, some examples:

- HCI Memtest (An instance needs to be opened for each individual thread, covering a total of 90-95% of memory giving the OS a little breathing room.)
- GSAT (google stress app test)
some useful info about memory testing here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1628751/official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread

Some other resources regarding memory I found useful:

How to overclock RAM and CPU by Robert Hallock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

AMD article: Community Update #4: Let's Talk DRAM!
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

and this is a good resource for Ryzen in general:

Ryzen Essential Info with link to owners info DB
http://www.overclock.net/t/1625015/ryzen-essential-info-with-link-to-owners-info-db

Edit: this was also a good video
ASUS B350 & X370 Ryzen Overclocking Walkthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmVf0S4UDs

Something to note is the motherboard will sometimes go through what is know as "memory training". It usually trys 3 attempts to boot with the RAM settings and if it fails it falls back to default 2133Mhz frequency.

Last edited:
Associate
If you post the following, maybe someone can also give you some suggestions:

- exact part number for all your memory
- what is printed on the memory sticks (frequency, timings and dram voltage)
- what memory chips they are using e.g. Samsung B-die, Hynix M-die, Hynix A-die, etc.
- how many sticks of RAM e.g. 2 sticks or 4 sticks, and did you buy a single kit or did you buy 2 kits and try to join them together (not recommended).
- whether they are single rank or dual rank.

Edit: maybe also include screenshot from Thaiphoon burner with the information.

Soldato
OP
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply, a lot of it goes over my head I must admit. :o

The memory kit is Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
The label on the stick states '3200mhz 16-18-18-36 1.35v ver 5.39
Hynix M-die
2 x 16gb sticks bought as a single kit
I believe it is dual rank

WncAOg1.png

Thank you very much!

Soldato
2x16 has to be dual rank. The good news is that performance benchmarks of single vs dual usually put dual out in front by the equivalent of a couple of hundred mhz :)

Try 2933Mhz first. With 2T command rate enabled and gear down disabled. Vdimm 1.45V timings as XMP.

Soc voltage 1.125V

Cheers 8 Pack, I had the same question as the OP so I'll try that myself tonight ^^ Does 1T to 2T not sacrifice much then? I'm at 3066 1T at the mo.

Soldato
OP
Try ProcOcd rate @ 53,3Ohm with timings as per label. I used manual instead of XMP profile, xmp gave me boot loop.
Thank you for your suggestion jaffveyda, I set Ohms to 53.3 as you suggested, XMP disabled, 2933Mhz with label timings, and Soc @ 1.125v and it has booted! :)
I have no idea how stable it is yet of course and I am not sure if I will be able to get away with pushing higher?

OcUK Staff
Msi xmp table for these hynix is incorrect in this case then. Auto means board trains all timings at boot. May suffer performance hit as a consequence as some timings will probably train to high tolerance.

My dimms with B die xmp was working fine. Hynix issue for sure.

Soldato
OP
My board doesn't seem to like this memory kit at all, I restarted the machine and it refused to boot at 2933Mhz. I might have to get a kit with B die in the future.

Back
Top Bottom