• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen vs Skylake-X clock for clock comparison.

Soldato
10% is not enough to be noticeable for most people. Certainly close enough to make other attributes more of a factor in which platform you choose. In my experience AMD hardware ages quite well. If as I suspect software is only going to become more multithreaded Ryzen should stay competitive.

The best news to come out of all of this is the consumer now has a choice.

Price is an attribute too. Now you get a decent cooler with amd which you can do a bit of an overclock on. Intel you get a stock cooler which you can't overclock so you're out another 30-40quid on top of the cost of the cpu, which then points to an additional £50 or more to go the Intel route. Some people have a budget they need to stick to and an extra 50 quid is a deal breaker for some. That 50 could be a decent SSD or for something else in their build. Perhaps the £50 means they can afford a 1070 card over a 1060.

Caporegime
OP
The performance is close enough and the price difference so large IMO the only way the 8700K makes sense is if you're actually running a GTX 1080TI at 1080P, or you have so much money you don't care about it and just want braging rights, in which case you're buying a GTX 1080TI anyway.

For everyone else you're getting the same performance from a 2600, which is half the money, £150 saving on the CPU goes a long way.

Permabanned
Price is an attribute too. Now you get a decent cooler with amd which you can do a bit of an overclock on. Intel you get a stock cooler which you can't overclock so you're out another 30-40quid on top of the cost of the cpu, which then points to an additional £50 or more to go the Intel route. Some people have a budget they need to stick to and an extra 50 quid is a deal breaker for some. That 50 could be a decent SSD or for something else in their build. Perhaps the £50 means they can afford a 1070 card over a 1060.

The performance is close enough and the price difference so large IMO the only way the 8700K makes sense is if you're actually running a GTX 1080TI at 1080P, or you have so much money you don't care about it and just want braging rights, in which case you're buying a GTX 1080TI anyway.

For everyone else you're getting the same performance from a 2600, which is half the money, £150 saving on the CPU goes a long way.

30-40 quid for a new cooler, 150 quid for the CPU, and looking forward an additional cost for a new motherboard when they are upgrading, depending on the budget, that can be +200 quid.
So, vs a Zen platform, in total up to 350-400 quid more just to own the Intel platform. Plus the time for a new Windows installation.

Caporegime
OP
2700x vs 8700k build for me works out very close, maybe £20 going with the parts I would choose, basically nothing.

Which is why you wouldn't buy the 2700X, not unless the productivity performance it has over the 2600 is worth the extra money to you, otherwise again unless money is no object the 2600 gives you all the 8700K will for a lot less money.

You would buy the 2700X as a more cost effective alternative to Intel's HEDT line, like the 7800K and 7820K, not as an apex gaming CPU.

Permabanned
2700x vs 8700k build for me works out very close, maybe £20 going with the parts I would choose, basically nothing.

Why don't you look for an i7-7700K? Already forgot it, why?
Just to tell you that in the same way you will forget the i7-8700 with the release of the new i7-9700 that will add 2 physical cores and 4 threads.
20 pounds plus the cost for the motherboard and you go well over 100 pounds, at the very least.

With the Ryzen 7 2700X, you will be able just to change the processor to Ryzen 7 4700X or whatever it is called and you will be fine.
Hope see the large difference in the options.

Associate
It's because i've got a 1080ti and some 4000mhz ram, right now a 8700k build makes the most sense for me. Quads are history and it would be silly to buy a 7700k.

Back
Top Bottom