S2000 owners advice

Soldato
Wheel refurbs are £60 a corner where I live. aND YES, LOOKING AT YOUR PIC, I THINK A FULL BOOT RESPRAY WOULD BE BEST
Same here it seems, just had a rough quote back from just shy of £60 per wheel.

Kind of tempted to get them done in a gun grey colour kind of like this one that was advertised a few weeks ago

Screenshot-20240429-064121.png

Screenshot-20240429-064130.png

Caporegime
Gunmetal grey is nice.

If the car is right then i wouldnt worry about the wheels and boot esp if priced right to take account of those costs. And gives you an excuse to get the wheels painted the colour you want, even black! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Off to see that car in the morning :)

This will be my first actual viewing of an s2000.

Could you guys give me the essentials to look out for, maybe a brief list of important points that you recommend that I ask about etc, basic level just so I don't miss something :D

It's 33k miles, hasn't really been used a lot in recent years from what I can tell, 1k or so a year

Has just been serviced.

Caporegime
How bad is the rust situation on these? MX5 Levels?
Rear arches and sills seem to be pretty common. My old ones last MOT is a pretty horrendous read.

Seized bushes are an issue if the alignment is out or you want it changing. Engines reliable but I spun a rod bearing at 180k on my silver one

I had them for about 11 years and Tbh for £20k there’s better cars. Like BMW’s ‘S4000’

Last edited:
Soldato
Rear arches and sills seem to be pretty common. My old ones last MOT is a pretty horrendous read.

Seized bushes are an issue if the alignment is out or you want it changing. Engines reliable but I spun a rod bearing at 180k on my silver one

I had them for about 11 years and Tbh for £20k there’s better cars. Like BMW’s ‘S4000’
180k miles? :O

I checked the history on the one I'm looking at, no fails so far, there was mention of surface rust to suspension components a few years back but no mention since so I'll ask about that, see how it was rectified.

Associate
180k miles? :O

I checked the history on the one I'm looking at, no fails so far, there was mention of surface rust to suspension components a few years back but no mention since so I'll ask about that, see how it was rectified.
just make sure you get your head underneath and have a look as that will be the bad part. boot floor is also another common rot out place. i would hope at 33k its been kept garaged anyway and not driven on salty roads to often etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
just make sure you get your head underneath and have a look as that will be the bad part. boot floor is also another common rot out place. i would hope at 33k its been kept garaged anyway and not driven on salty roads to often etc.
That certainly sounds like the case so fingers crossed. It's a little out of what I wanted to spend originally but if it's a good one, I think we could come to a fair agreement

Soldato
Been to see the car. Very genuine guy, excellent history and mileage but unfortunately the price doesn't match the condition aesthetically so I need to weigh up the cost to get it how I would want it :(

Soldato
Unfortunately for a 34k mile car, the body work was more marked than I expected especially as the asking price was around £17k-ish.

The headlights were yellowed pretty badly too, not sure if this is an easy fix or full replacement?

A lot of stone chips on the front bumper, few marks to the rear bumpers and wheel refurb all around. So Im thinking it would cost me a lot to get it to be in a place that I would want it to be for that money if that makes sense.

Such a shame as the interior, history, mileages and engine bay etc were spot on and rust didn't seem apparent.

We suggested it felt more like £15k with the work I would then do to get it where it should be but I can understand the sellers reluctance at that offer.

Soldato
Prices on S2000s are all over the place. I considered getting another one when I moved my 911 on as I missed it. Gone for a 987.1 Cayman S and not regretting it just yet.

I think 15-17k on an S2000 it needs to be spotless. They're great cars, but they are now at an age when plenty needs doing to keep them fresh.

Soldato
Im pretty glad mine has only cost me 8.5k so far. Sure it's a preface lift and has 84k on the clock but it's in decent condition. Im not going to be too worried about putting miles on it or a few track days etc.
They're built to be driven not kept in a garage with owners panicking they've driven it to the shops and its added 6 miles to the odo.

Soldato
Prices on S2000s are all over the place. I considered getting another one when I moved my 911 on as I missed it. Gone for a 987.1 Cayman S and not regretting it just yet.

I think 15-17k on an S2000 it needs to be spotless. They're great cars, but they are now at an age when plenty needs doing to keep them fresh.
Rust is the main issue. Rest is usual Honda, they’re able to take the miles but any car exposed to uk roads and winters after 15+ years is going to suffer with rust.

Back
Top Bottom