S24 ultra vs Pixel pro 9 for next phone? (or even s23 ultra?)

Caporegime
Not sure if it's worth having a general thread as this is surely a choice for many?

My phone camera got damaged on holiday so now I need a new phone from my S21Ultra . Not urgent but in next few months max as I'm not going anywhere special needing the wide lens (most damaged).

I've been with Samsung for quite a few years now and 2 concurrent phones.

I've seen a camera comparison on YouTube (if it's real) and tbh, they look similar enough that either is no big deal.

I've read a few reports that these phones aren't much better in terms of cameras than the previous iterations.

Obviously pixel 9 pro is only just out, but would be interested to hear from anyone who's used either.. Especially if they've used both.

There are so many false/paid for reviews on YouTube now it's getting to the point it's barely a usable resource!

Only feature that really swung me either way was the s24u anti glare screen which would be amazing for me.

S24 Ultra camera was great apart from moving objects blue as for pixel no idea we need more reviews.

I'm trying the iPhone 15 pro Max for 3 months minimum and the camera immediately has benefits over S24 Ultra such as moving objects and selfies

The anti glare was nice on the s24 however once the special coating worn off it wasn't really beneficial due to how easy to screen smudged

Last edited:
If camera is your main use I would go for the Pixel 9 pro, I have both the s24 ultra and Pixel 8 pro.

As the previous poster mentioned, moving objects and low light can lead to awful photos on the 24Ultra, not great if you have kids (usually blurred if they are moving). If I know I'm only going to get one chance I always use the pixel .

The s24 ultra does have great video quality though, both are good to be fair but the s24 ultra is more flexible

The s24 Ultra is the better phone mainly due to the anti glare screen which is brilliant , it's really big though and the corners could do with being rounded off, doesn't sit well in the pocket

I'm still using an s23 ultra. I do want to find a reason to upgrade as I do enjoy a new gadget and almost jumped on the fold but this phone just does everything I need it to really well, i've always been impressed by the camera.

I'm taking a leap of faith and trading in an S24 Ultra for a Pixel 9 Pro XL.

I'm not that impressed with the S24 camera and find it struggles with blurring if people are moving. Since it's mostly used to take pics of the bairn or the dog, that is a bit of an issue for me as I can't exactly tell them to stand still all the time. Stationary pictures are very good though.

Another biggie for me is the lack of support for AptX audio codec streaming on the S24. At the moment to use my headphones in lossless I need to either use a USB C dongle in the phone (which does work in AptX) or connect by USB C cable - both solutions work and allows lossless streaming. Samsung seem to of only intentionally locked out AptX on the phones bluetooth module in favour of their proprietary codec which only supports Samsung headphones.

I've also spent years (S9+, Note 20, S22 and S24) trying to not be bothered about having a Samsung and a Andriod equivalent for a lot of apps. 2 contacts apps, 2 calendars, 2 photo apps, 2 mesage apps, 2 app stores. It's just annoying and as time goes on it's starting to feel like Samsung are trying to create their own little environment, locking you into their products (headphones, watches etc) which IMO defeats the whole point of Andriod.

Is the S24 a faster device? Early indications indicate it is significantly faster with the Snapdragon chip, but it'll be interesting to see how the Pixel performs without all the additional overlays that Samsung add.

Last edited:
I'm taking a leap of faith and trading in an S24 Ultra for a Pixel 9 Pro XL.

I'm not that impressed with the S24 camera and find it struggles with blurring if people are moving. Since it's mostly used to take pics of the bairn or the dog, that is a bit of an issue for me as I can't exactly tell them to stand still all the time. Stationary pictures are very good though.

Another biggie for me is the lack of support for AptX audio codec streaming on the S24. At the moment to use my headphones in lossless I need to either use a USB C dongle in the phone (which does work in AptX) or connect by USB C cable - both solutions work and allows lossless streaming. Samsung seem to of only intentionally locked out AptX on the phones bluetooth module in favour of their proprietary codec which only supports Samsung headphones.

I've also spent years (S9+, Note 20, S22 and S24) trying to not be bothered about having a Samsung and a Andriod equivalent for a lot of apps. 2 contacts apps, 2 calendars, 2 photo apps, 2 mesage apps, 2 app stores. It's just annoying and as time goes on it's starting to feel like Samsung are trying to create their own little environment, locking you into their products (headphones, watches etc) which IMO defeats the whole point of Andriod.

Is the S24 a faster device? Early indications indicate it is significantly faster with the Snapdragon chip, but it'll be interesting to see how the Pixel performs without all the additional overlays that Samsung add.

S24 will definitely perform miles above the Pixel. We have to wait until the 10 when Google goes fully custom on TSMC to see how performant they are on a much more efficient process.

Last edited:
S24 will definitely perform miles above the Pixel. We have to wait until the 10 when Google goes fully custom on TSMC to see how performant they are on a much more efficient process.
Oh I'm absolutely expecting to be moving to a slower device, but hopefully less frustrating to use. I don't use it for gaming, mostly web browsing, youtube and email/teams for work on occasion so I'm certainly not a heavy user by any means.

I had the original Pixel and a Nexus 5, both were probably my favourite of the Andriod devices I've ever used so hoping the Pixel is still just a simple, nice device to use.

In reality outside of benchmarking... it's not faster at all. I have both the S24 and pixel 8 pro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom