• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

How do you fit a cooler with nuts and bolts if your board dosent have any holes??
mD0nWc4n_Inside%20pc1.JPG

Believe it or not, you can ressurect some of these with damaged SMD resistors if you are lucky like me...

Just for clarification those "Resistors" are actually decoupling Capacitors and damaging them will probably not completely kill your CPU, it will however make it more sensitive to a poor quality voltage supply.

i did this on my old cpu and it really did make a difference in cooling and a slight oc overall.
have now moved to duel core and been thinking to do it again but just havent been bothered!!!
good to see that the thermaltake big typhoon is the best air to use as i recently bought my mates old one of him.
so after reading this post and everyones comments im about to turn of my pc and do some modding!!!!!
will post later with results compared to now
wish me luck!!!
cheers jokester

good news
all went well :) and used old fashoin stanley knife took abit of time but done it
temps have dropped sits idle now at around 30c with air (big typhoon)
some small probs :
forgot to take screen shot of b4 shot so cant compare temps!!
both cores idle at 28/30c but underload c1 sits 20c higher than c2 72/52c
is this something i should worry about, is it bcos its not even?

ive got a S939 [email protected] running at 1.4v using stock artic 7 pro cooler CPU still has IHS

temps i have are

onload
core 0 46 core 1 62

idle
core 0 30 core 1 37

im running on a A8N-SLI-Premium

i wouldnt worry about them being uneven although your top temp is very high considering im overclocking a lot more than you.

what Voltage are you running the CPU at?

Last edited:
good news
all went well :) and used old fashoin stanley knife took abit of time but done it
temps have dropped sits idle now at around 30c with air (big typhoon)
some small probs :
forgot to take screen shot of b4 shot so cant compare temps!!
both cores idle at 28/30c but underload c1 sits 20c higher than c2 72/52c
is this something i should worry about, is it bcos its not even?

Sounds like your cooler is fowling on something and stopping it sitting on the core properly. I had the same problem with mine.

First a mounting leg for AM2 cpu's that's on my block was fowling on something on the board, then I found that the base of my block is too big and some of it sits on the raised part of the cpu socket. If you read the first post it describes this although it says your cooler should be ok it's worth looking very carefully.

Also check that you've screwed it down evenly.

I had 10c difference between cores with the IHS on but once I'd fixed the above issues they're now identical and I've squeezed an extra 200mhz out of my soon to be replaced x2 3800.

heheheh

AMD 4200x2 [email protected] was 47oC 61oC @ full load

i just removed my IHS cleaned the core top AS5'd it, cleaned the inside of the IHS AS5'd it, removed all the black stuff from IHS and CPU popped back on the core, put the Freezer pro 64 back on and my temps have now equalled up :)

i get equal 47oC on both cores @ 1.4v at full load CPU overclocked to 2.85Ghz

A W E S O M E ! ! !

Just done this on my 2nd rig's 3800x2, somewhat scary to do, but ultimately fun :P

Haven't got temps sorted but it's running stable for the first time ever at 2.85GHz

Banjo

people with too much money do this stuff :D

its a nice little trick though cheers joker. its a nice little tutorial and very informative.

its best to play around with older less expensive chips if you have one spare or practice on your wifes computer first :d . ive done this before. and its worked fine on my old X2 6000.

Back
Top Bottom