Sabayon hates me?

Soldato
For many many years, I have been using Sabayon Linux.

But, version 15 and onwards seem to hate me and every PC I install it onto!?

Here is the thing....

v15.0 = Suddenly I had issues and it would simply fail to boot after using it for a bit.

v15.x = Now I could use it as long as I dont let it up date ( EVER )

It has remained like that with EVERY PC and LAPTOP I try installing it to!

I normally use KDE, but I dont like Plasma and so I have been going over to Mate or Cinnamon, but they are not helping.

The situation I have found myself in now, and have doen for a while, is that I can install Sabayon just fine without issues, but as soon as I try updating it, it will crash.

A while back, I went through the entire updating procedure one update by one update to see if I could find the cause, but the bloody thing kept adding its own and so one by one was not possible, and then it just failed to boot and I was unable to find the exact cause.

Another thing, is that I have a number of PCs and Laptops and so I have tried to get it to iinstall and update on a number of machines, Intel and AMD, ATI and nVidia, SSD and HD, network install and USB, different ISOS, redownloading them, or using different APPS to build the USB Flash drive and nothing I can do, makes the slightest difference?

What the hell can possibly explain this?

I am now using ubuntu MATE with the Cinnamon desktop, or MINT Cinnamon 19 as Sabayon has completely eluded me for a couple of years now.... I would love to go back but it wont let me.

Soldato
OP
LOL Yes, I am a member of the Sabayon Forums too, but I have nod had any replies to that and I asked 3 weeks ago.
and no, trying to get in with ssh isnt helping, and there is nothing whatsoever that gives any clues as to why it does this?
I am honestly resigning to the fact that Sabayon is the next Distro that I grew to love and then it was removed from me.
First it was Mandrake, and now Sabayon. Im enjoying Mint and Ubuntu with Cinnamon and so I suppose this will be my main Distro from now on, however I am trying Fedora 29 with Cinnamon and so far, its not looking too bad.

Thanks anyway mate.

Soldato
That smells suspiciously like bootloader issues to me.

I once had a board (Asus 939 of some description, can't remember what off the top of my head) which threw a fit every time the bootloader or kernel updated.
Something to do with drive number detection being different depending on the boot device IIRC.
The fix in this case was to boot from a Live disk when it barfed, chroot into the install and re-run the grub-install.

Soldato
OP
Seriously? Well, I will have a play...

I find it quite annoying that I have a fairly stupid number of PCs and Sabayon has done this on most of them.... My main PC is always Windows mind you, but the fact that I have failed to get Sabayon fully running and fully up to date on so many machines and they have failed seemingly for the same reasons in the same way, has relly made me wonder if its not the distro itself, especially given that all other distros seem to work just fine, and as a hoarder, I have a massive collection of distros.. I think possible a copy of every version out there, from Anarchy to Zorin, and they all work, but Sabayon, my baby, does not. ( Although 90% of those I have just run through VirtualPC I will admit - Oh hang on... Sabayon Also failed in VMWare too! - I iwll have a play in VMWare again, rather than setup another PC )

Soldato
I really can't see it being the distro TBQH.

Another thought would be that if you're restoring /home something might be bust in there.
Similiar with other config files, but /home would be the normal thing backed up....

I might try stuffing it on a spare disk and see if I can break it...

Soldato
OP
For what its worth, this has been an issue for me for a few versions now 15.0 it started being a bum, but 15.3 allowed me to install, and as long as I dont let it update, it was fine. Every version since has been the pain.

I have tried it on clean drives ( fully blanke, including drives never used by any thing ) I have tried it on dirty drives ( Simply overwriting already present distros ) and I have tried it on drives that I have formatted on other setups ( you never know ) and this had made ZERO difference?

My usual way of setting up a Tux box, and this is how all my Linux systems are, is simply :-

hda = SSD and hdb = Normal Sata HD

hda1 = /
hda2 = 8GB Swap
hdb = /home

Nice and simple

I have of course tried LVM and I have tried letting the setup make the partitions, but that does nothing either.

I have a few USB Audio and LAN devices, and I have tried disabling the Onboard and using those, I have tried the onboard Graphics as well as nVidia and ATI Cards, but again, they dont seem to help in anyway.

I have, or rather HAD a PC set to one side, that I have been using since v14 when I last had a fully running Sabayon setup, and at the time, that was my main Linux PC, but that has never been able to run any version of Sabayon, and I have downlaoded EVERY version that there has been... My first version of Sabayon was 3.5 and I had no issues at all until 15.0 and since then... NADA!

until I got my 7700K intel setup, my main PC was my SabreTooth 990FX and 9590. That is currrently doing nothing, however, I have just used it to make a full backup of my Intel PC and I am doing some silly nonsense, but real life tests on it comparing with the Intel... Once I have done that, I will use it as my main Linux PC because I have got 3xITX Setups that I really dont need. I will sell them off ( Well, 2 of them anyway, I might still knock up a hackintosh just because ) while they are still worth something.

The thing is, that for me, I have failed completely to ge ta Sabayon setup running on any of my PCs using any version of Sabayon since v15.0, and Im sick of it.

Anything that anyone can suggest, I am up for it.

Back
Top Bottom