Votes: 4 5.1%
  • West Ham - Bilic

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Not sure why they went for Bradley over Giggs, but good luck to him

They are still a pretty decent side if they get their spirit back

Soldato
Other than being Welsh why would you go for Giggs? He has practically no managerial experience.

he still has vast amounts of EPL knowledge and slightly out of the spotlight (if any EPL team is out of the spotlight) he could do very well.

He is also highly respected within the game in general and surely any EPL knowledge is better than none at all (and its not exactly as though Bradley is a big name in managerial circles either)

Cant see anything at all in Bradley's wiki page that would suggest he would be much better than Giggs - Im not sure which is better the French 2nd division or the MLS but its not like he set the world alight with either.

Would still go for ANY EPL experience over none especially with his connections in the game.

Last edited:
Don
His knowledge and any respect he's got is as a player though. You could use the same argument to appoint an experienced PL kit man as Swansea's new boss.

Giggs' managerial experience totals 4 games as caretaker at Utd. Given the value of survival in the PL, why any club would even consider appointing a manager that's never actually been a manager is beyond me. This doesn't just apply to Giggs but all ex players - they have no right to walk into a top managers job just because they were a player. They should have to go and prove their worth because for every Guardiola there's 100 that turn out useless.

Man of Honour
I must say, I am utterly stunned that 3 people voted for Klopp. I cant believe that anyone on here with any semblence of sense would truly think that Liverpool are going to sack Klopp next. I dont know who those 3 people are, but my god I really do need to enter a financial wager with them on that one :D

Soldato
Maybe they weren't voting seriously, and thought it would be a laugh to vote for the least likely candidate to get the sack, just so people would look at the poll and think WTF? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
His knowledge and any respect he's got is as a player though. You could use the same argument to appoint an experienced PL kit man as Swansea's new boss.

Giggs' managerial experience totals 4 games as caretaker at Utd. Given the value of survival in the PL, why any club would even consider appointing a manager that's never actually been a manager is beyond me. This doesn't just apply to Giggs but all ex players - they have no right to walk into a top managers job just because they were a player. They should have to go and prove their worth because for every Guardiola there's 100 that turn out useless.

If you look at players like Pep or Zinedine Zidane, they didn't walk into their jobs without management experience. Both of them had managed the B teams for Real Madrid and Barcelona. In Spain these B teams play in the league structure alongside first teams. Both of these teams play in the Spanish equivalent of League 1. Giggs hasn't even got this.

It is funny when you look at the top players who fail as managers. The best managers have normally only been journeymen footballers. There are exceptions to this but as you say the majority of former players who get into management fail. It is a very different set of skills. One only has to look at Gary Neville in his spell at Valencia.

Man of Honour
Not sure how factual this is but what I read was that apparently Giggs was quite poor in the interview, the word I saw used was "underwhelming". Maybe he is one of those who has the know how but isnt particularly good at selling himself or getting it across.

Associate
Any job is a huge risk for him because he's never managed before, if he doesn't do well, it'll kind of burst his bubble but he's gotta start somewhere though, there will be up's and down's until he finds his feet in management..

Agreed and I simply can't see him taking a job lower than the championship.

Soldato
If you look at players like Pep or Zinedine Zidane, they didn't walk into their jobs without management experience. Both of them had managed the B teams for Real Madrid and Barcelona. In Spain these B teams play in the league structure alongside first teams. Both of these teams play in the Spanish equivalent of League 1. Giggs hasn't even got this.

It is funny when you look at the top players who fail as managers. The best managers have normally only been journeymen footballers. There are exceptions to this but as you say the majority of former players who get into management fail. It is a very different set of skills. One only has to look at Gary Neville in his spell at Valencia.

Think its a little unfair to even talk about B teams, as there is no equivelant at all here.

The actual knowledge Giggs has of working under Fergie (who was guiding him for a couple of years in management before his retirement) and in majority of EPL opponants and also knows majority of the current managers and their styles etc is worth a lot more than a blank slate from a manager who's club management experience is virtually zero also (if even Ligue 1 is not comparable in competitiveness, any experience in ligue2 is completely worthless)

Given how quick majority of managers are hired and binned these days , and the dire straights Swansea are in right now, even with 1/2 decent players - personally think the club management would have chosen someone with even the slightest more relevant experience (let alone knowing well respected managers who he can call on if required)

Wouldnt touch the villa job with a barge pole personally sounds like there are more problems there than just the playing staff / manager .

Admire GN (and his brother) for taking the challange in Spain, but given the langauge and cultural differences as well, it was always going to be a much bigger challange than he needed at that point in his career. As to whether Giggs can be one of the few top flight players who make it as a manager (look at Hughes & Bruce for two that made respectable managers - even if Bruce chose to walk away recently - for the other side of the coin) , no one knows yet. Could easily go either way and if Swansea had chosen a person with EPL experience then fair enough would understand that fully , but to go with someone with virtually no relevant club experience and no EPL experience at all is pretty bizarre

Any job is a huge risk for him because he's never managed before, if he doesn't do well, it'll kind of burst his bubble but he's gotta start somewhere though, there will be up's and down's until he finds his feet in management..

Why is it any more of a risk than someone who hasnt ever managed at this level before (and only a year's experience at any kind of club level at that)- and not even in this country

Last edited:
Soldato
Think its a little unfair to even talk about B teams, as there is no equivelant at all here.

The actual knowledge Giggs has of working under Fergie (who was guiding him for a couple of years in management before his retirement) and in majority of EPL opponants and also knows majority of the current managers and their styles etc is worth a lot more than a blank slate from a manager who's club management experience is virtually zero also (if even Ligue 1 is not comparable in competitiveness, any experience in ligue2 is completely worthless)

We have an equivalent - League 1. The only difference to managing Real Madrid Castilla and someone in League 1 is that at Real Madrid Castilla there isn't a playing budget to work with. In both situations the manager is responsible for picking the team, choosing the players, motivating them and working on the tactics.

There are plenty of top level clubs where the manager, or head coach, doesn't have much say in transfers.

Soldato
Again, why is EPL experience so vital, when they can understand the game from outside, or hire people who can give them the info? Eight managers have won the EPL. Three of them did it at their first attempt, without EPL experience.

This is something I don't get also, someone would rather have Moyes due to his PL experience than someone who has worked in other leagues.

Personally I think it's better to sometimes think outside the box and have new ideas brought to the table, PL experience isn't the be all and end all, look at Simeone (I hate the guy and wouldn't want to see him in the PL) would you hire him or Bruce for your team as Bruce has PL experience.

Wenger, Rafa, Jose et all didn't have PL experience at one stage and all improved the teams they joined immeasurably.

Soldato
Why is it any more of a risk than someone who hasnt ever managed at this level before (and only a year's experience at any kind of club level at that)- and not even in this country

:confused: That would be a risk as well, wouldn't it? Swansea are near the bottom of the table, they need to make sure they aren't left behind. Why would you hire Giggs, who has no managerial experience at all? I get that he was a highly decorated player, an amazing player who would have learnt a huge amount under Fergie, but the point still remains that he's never managed a club. I take issue with what you said about Real B/Barca B, they compete in a league which is probably like league 1, league 2 maybe, not sure but several years Zidane & Pep spent there finding what they wanted from a team. I'm sure he'll be a good manager but he does comes across as a bit of damp cloth at times with his personality, he doesn't seem very inspiring, hard to tell though, he could be completely different behind closed doors. I think it's wishful thinking that he's going to walk into a PL team when competition is so fierce, i think you have had to manage at some level before even contemplating it. It would be best for him to manage at a lower level as well, he wouldn't have the spotlight on him, he could try things tactically, find his feet and grow as a manager whilst imparting his knowledge into a lower league team, both would benefit greatly even if he didn't get the team promoted or something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom