Saddle bags

Soldato
I currently own a Topeak Wedge saddle bag (medium) and am looking to change for a couple of reasons:
  • On my new bike, the saddle position doesn’t allow the QR to fix to the saddle rails, so I need something that fixes with straps.
  • I’d like to downsize (at least on shorter local rides) as I carry a load of gear that I’ve never used

The problem with getting a smaller bag is that I’m restricted in finding one which can hold a mini-pump. I’m not a fan of the co2 cartridges so want to stick with the pump. I hate carrying things in my jersey pockets though unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Any suggestions on small bags that can fit a mini pump?

What about those kits that you can get that look like a bottle and fit in the cage instead of using a saddle bag?

Soldato
Any suggestions on small bags that can fit a mini pump?

is a half pump on the downtube really an obstruction, I use a zefal and know it has the psi to do the job.
my strapped underseat bag is a decathlon one, but the I have an additional bracket for rear light ... they're always a pain.

Soldato
Maybe if you don’t ride very far. ;)
Yeah, screw those rules.

Why not use co2 catridges? How often do you flat? As in, in the year I rode road I never had a single one. Kept two catridges in my bag and never used one.

The rules are a bit of a laugh. But honestly, I don't get saddle bags. I used to use one. It would just rattle away and be annoying. It's pretty impressive how much stuff you can carry in 3 jersey pockets. I carry a tube, pump, levers, multi tool and chain links in my middle jersey pocket, then the other two are filled with food\gels\gloves\phone\wallet\keys etc.

Your other option is fit a bottle with all of your spares\tools to your second bottle cage.

Soldato
I'd love to see how people cope on a long ride (ie 50+ miles ) with no saddle bag!

So carrying all your food, phone, keys etc, AND spare tube, pump/CO2 canisters, puncture kit, tools....

Ignore the 'no saddlebags' rubbish. Everyone has one.

And also ignore having a 'bottle' taking up your second cage to carry stuff. As above, do a long ride on just one water bottle. You'll struggle even in winter.

Soldato
Why not use co2 catridges?
they don't give a high enough pressure, or, if the valve doesn't mate well you're in problems .... btdt.

[ Discovered there is a new Decathlon in cambridge at the weekend ... good news, they're multiplying ]

Caporegime
The rules are a bit of a laugh. But honestly, I don't get saddle bags. I used to use one. It would just rattle away and be annoying. It's pretty impressive how much stuff you can carry in 3 jersey pockets. I carry a tube, pump, levers, multi tool and chain links in my middle jersey pocket, then the other two are filled with food\gels\gloves\phone\wallet\keys etc.

Your other option is fit a bottle with all of your spares\tools to your second bottle cage.

I had one, I never even knew it was there.

In fairness I had my pump in my jersey.

Soldato
I've got Lezyne Caddy (Medium) bags on two bikes. I've got a micro pump in one that I've had ages. On the other bike, I've got a Lifeline pump which mounts behind the bottle cage. I like having everything ready to ride, so each bag has a spare tube (both bikes are tubeless), multi-tool, appropriate missing links (10 or 11 speed), a bit of change, tyre levers, tubeless repair kit etc. I'd forget something if I had to pickup that lot each time [1]. Leaves jersey pockets for food, Caddy Sack (money / phone) and shell jacket.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-cnc-mini-pump/

[1] Don't mention the time I had a single bag and was swapping it between bikes as needed, but forgot to swap it over before heading out... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom