Safe cycling routes/tour outside London

Soldato
Hi.

can anyone recommend a cycle route/tour for novices that me and the missus can do?

Say a 20-30mile max one.

I am looking for a location that we can either cycle to from london or take a train with our bikes somewhere nice and cycle from a station to a nice town to potentially spend the night there.

We have done st albamns way and cambridge/reading area too.

My missus has a single speed hybrid bike and i have two bikes, a mountain bike with slim tyres and a bwtin road bike.

Thanks in advance

Associate
i quite like Rutland Water. it does have some offroad/gravel sections but not too bad. i went with both MTB and cross bikes before, no problem. there are a couple of steep slopes but only about 15-20 meters, so you can push it if needed.

vi1jtRb.jpg

Associate
Hi.

can anyone recommend a cycle route/tour for novices that me and the missus can do?

Say a 20-30mile max one.

I am looking for a location that we can either cycle to from london or take a train with our bikes somewhere nice and cycle from a station to a nice town to potentially spend the night there.

We have done st albamns way and cambridge/reading area too.

My missus has a single speed hybrid bike and i have two bikes, a mountain bike with slim tyres and a bwtin road bike.

Thanks in advance

Hi what area would be good for you? as in direction from london as have quite a few one is from the east side of Harlow M11/A414 corner heading N/E others Above Stanstead to East of A11 round the lanes

Soldato
OP
Hi what area would be good for you? as in direction from london as have quite a few one is from the east side of Harlow M11/A414 corner heading N/E others Above Stanstead to East of A11 round the lanes
We live in Hackney area but we don't mind going to the west side providing we can jump on a train with our bikes to go west and start cycling from there

Associate
We live in Hackney area but we don't mind going to the west side providing we can jump on a train with our bikes to go west and start cycling from there

You could take tube across to putney then ride along thames path

What you need is pair of mitts(Something to keep hands clean? spanner if they need one? Some bungie straps! Some padding? and something to place under/round rear mech! and elastic bands etc to hold it.
Ride to station then take wheels out strap to sides of frame as Happy! then walk on with them as hand luggage! then can go on anywhere on tube!.

Used to love it when Raced track at Welywn garden Velodrome turned up to tube guy would be out of his box quicker than a Scag head chasing a score! went round corner in station whipped wheels off bunged either side of frame holding chain up with them also the went to go to barrier he'd be out again i'd just say hand luggage! and be gone.

I'm not that far from you if need any help i used to run/coach at Lee Valley Cycle circuit(Eastway to those in the know)
Have you been right round victoria park? also you can go along down the Hertford Union either right towards the thames or left towards Tottenham(Hertfordshire)
I had a route from park way along grand union to limehouse basin then left over bridge to Narrow street left then across road through barrier going along river then have to come back to West Ferry road right up over old dock/lock gates past shops then a right into estate then back along the river to Thai Elephant along cobbled street past rowing club/New build into Island Gardens park can stop there and have a cup of tea at hut on right hes a cycling person as they did try to set up a cycle hub/repairs etc there but Council said NO! you can then follow river round do have to go over the blue bridge! then can get back in by Yabsley street(Council waste station)Wind your way through/round past more new build hotel then do a right by coop/DLR back to river then to east india dock gates park can go through it and go to Lighthouse place Trinity wharf there is a cafe there daytimes!
you can go on further round by city airport but a lot is on the road there is a route going far east down to Rainham plus! but can go on Woolwich ferry then come back along southern path to Greenwich tunnel and head home or can either retrace route came from or head west along Poplar high street to limehouse into narrow street and back along canal.
Or you could from trinity wharf head back up into poplar and back along river lee

Soldato
OP
You could take tube across to putney then ride along thames path

What you need is pair of mitts(Something to keep hands clean? spanner if they need one? Some bungie straps! Some padding? and something to place under/round rear mech! and elastic bands etc to hold it.
Ride to station then take wheels out strap to sides of frame as Happy! then walk on with them as hand luggage! then can go on anywhere on tube!.

Used to love it when Raced track at Welywn garden Velodrome turned up to tube guy would be out of his box quicker than a Scag head chasing a score! went round corner in station whipped wheels off bunged either side of frame holding chain up with them also the went to go to barrier he'd be out again i'd just say hand luggage! and be gone.

I'm not that far from you if need any help i used to run/coach at Lee Valley Cycle circuit(Eastway to those in the know)
Have you been right round victoria park? also you can go along down the Hertford Union either right towards the thames or left towards Tottenham(Hertfordshire)
I had a route from park way along grand union to limehouse basin then left over bridge to Narrow street left then across road through barrier going along river then have to come back to West Ferry road right up over old dock/lock gates past shops then a right into estate then back along the river to Thai Elephant along cobbled street past rowing club/New build into Island Gardens park can stop there and have a cup of tea at hut on right hes a cycling person as they did try to set up a cycle hub/repairs etc there but Council said NO! you can then follow river round do have to go over the blue bridge! then can get back in by Yabsley street(Council waste station)Wind your way through/round past more new build hotel then do a right by coop/DLR back to river then to east india dock gates park can go through it and go to Lighthouse place Trinity wharf there is a cafe there daytimes!
you can go on further round by city airport but a lot is on the road there is a route going far east down to Rainham plus! but can go on Woolwich ferry then come back along southern path to Greenwich tunnel and head home or can either retrace route came from or head west along Poplar high street to limehouse into narrow street and back along canal.
Or you could from trinity wharf head back up into poplar and back along river lee
Ahh great stuff thanks! I will take a look at some of the routes you have mentioned.

One question. There seems to be a lot of cyclist that cycle down lea bridge road all kitted up for a nice long cycle but to where? Lead Bridge road ends near epping forest/Chingford way?

Associate
You could combine the Cambridge to St Ives Guided Busway cyclepath with some of the local trails? Each way it's about 14 miles along the cyclepath itself, but there are all kinds of routes branching off of it?

Back
Top Bottom