• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Safe Temperatures

Associate
Hi i have a PC that i like to play games on like Battlefield 3 and Dead Space 2 along with others.

My PC is a Intel i5 2500k @3.3Ghz, I have 8GB of RAM and GTX 560Ti 2GB Ultra Charged from Point of View. On my CPU i have only the standard cooler and want to know what is the safe temperatures for my bits.

My CPU is idle and is 30 degrees Celsius
The Motherboard is 34 degrees Celsius
The Graphics card is 30 degrees Celsius
and my Hard Drive is at 40

When i play Battlefield the CPU goes to around 50 and the graphics card about 60 .. what i would like to know is does this hurt it? am i safe at those temperatures and if so how high before it gets bad for my computer? thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks.

If i could also ask a couple more questions.

I have some PCI slots on my motherboard that aren't being used .. what can i plug in there? i'd like to make use of them somehow but i don't really know what to put in them.

Associate
OP
My case is nothing special, it cost me like £25 or thereabouts i think it's an EZCool. I have a 120mm back fan and a 80mm front fan.

What soundcards are good value for money and PCI? would i need to change the power supply? I have a 850w Bequiet one, will that be enough?

Usually i just buy a computer and play games till the PC cant play them then buy another, i am not great at making choices when it comes to computer bits so buying a PC every 18 months was always easier.

Last edited:
Soldato
psu is already overkill, no issues there.

if you don't have really good headphones a high end xonar will be a bit over the top, but then even a low end xonar will be much better sound quality than onboard.

don't. fill pcie slots for the sake of it though. If you have money to spend, I would get a newer case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have just changed my case for a Zalman Z9 Plus as i was told it was a good starting case for gaming and my temps on average are about 5 to 10 degrees lower on all components. I bought a Asus Xonar 7.1 PCI sound card to fill one of the slots free, i also ordered a wireless PCI network card @150Mbps.

Do you think i chose the right things or am i overloading my pc with stuff?. If my Power supply is "overkill" does that mean i should get a less powerful one? i was told by the seller that the 850w Bequiet was a high end PSU and would suit my needs but i can never tell if its just sales patter.

Soldato
I have just changed my case for a Zalman Z9 Plus as i was told it was a good starting case for gaming and my temps on average are about 5 to 10 degrees lower on all components. I bought a Asus Xonar 7.1 PCI sound card to fill one of the slots free, i also ordered a wireless PCI network card @150Mbps.

Do you think i chose the right things or am i overloading my pc with stuff?. If my Power supply is "overkill" does that mean i should get a less powerful one? i was told by the seller that the 850w Bequiet was a high end PSU and would suit my needs but i can never tell if its just sales patter.

It's a good psu, hang onto it. It's more than you need, but you may use it for your next build. As for temps, they're very good, you should be happy with them :) A sound card is a nice addition, but as others have said, don't bother filling ports just because. You may have a genuine need for it later on!

Associate
OP
The motherboard temperature is still the highest of all components reaching around 65*C after a couple of hours playing Battlefield 3 using a mix of high and ultra graphics. I would like to upgrade from the stock cooler on my CPU, will that help keep the motherboard a bit cooler? If so what is a good Heatsink and powerful fan i have seen a couple of Zalman ones on overclockers but i am not sure how they are rated. I don't want to spend too much maybe 30 pounds or something.

what can get for that?

Soldato
Hi i have a PC that i like to play games on like Battlefield 3 and Dead Space 2 along with others.

My PC is a Intel i5 2500k @3.3Ghz, I have 8GB of RAM and GTX 560Ti 2GB Ultra Charged from Point of View. On my CPU i have only the standard cooler and want to know what is the safe temperatures for my bits.

My CPU is idle and is 30 degrees Celsius
The Motherboard is 34 degrees Celsius
The Graphics card is 30 degrees Celsius
and my Hard Drive is at 40

When i play Battlefield the CPU goes to around 50 and the graphics card about 60 .. what i would like to know is does this hurt it? am i safe at those temperatures and if so how high before it gets bad for my computer? thanks

I wish i had those temperatures at my overclock :p :(

Soldato
Your best bet is to improve your case cooling to reduce the ambient temps in your case. That will benefit all of the components in there too. Add another intake and/or exhaust fan to your case, and consider where you want to put it to improve particular temps.

Either way, your temps are more than acceptable, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Associate
OP
Well i have room for a couple more case fans, i have 3 atm 1 sucking in from the front and 1 blowing out the back and 1 directly above that blowing vertically. I am just trying to get each component upgraded a bit so far i have done everything but the heatsink and fan plus the stock one looks dull and i have a window on my case so i was looking for something more aesthetically pleasing whilst also giving me a little extra cooling at the same time. I have 1155 chipset

Associate
OP
I used "Speccy" though i can't say it's 100% accurate.

When my components are @ CPU-55*C, MOBO-65*C GPU-55*C and HDD-50*C the readout on the exterior of my case says 36*C.

Back
Top Bottom