Safe to use Dual Channel in Tripple Channel mobo?

Associate
OP
I have been using the 1 stick of 2gb ram all day and its been running like crap in windows 7 64bit!

Dont know if it makes a difference but I put it into 1/3 blue slots thats for tripple channel as it refused to post when It was in the single channel black slot. Tried absolutely everything but it refused. Does it make a difference at all to the performance?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have been using the 1 stick of 2gb ram all day and its been running like crap in windows 7 64bit!

Dont know if it makes a difference but I put it into 1/3 blue slots thats for tripple channel as it refused to post when It was in the single channel black slot. Tried absolutely everything but it refused. Does it make a difference at all to the performance?

It doesn't make any difference where you put the stick as it's just going to run in single channel mode.

Your PC is bound to feel that it's running poorly compared to before.

Assuming you had 6GB of RAM before then:

a) You're now running with a third of the RAM

b) The memory bandwidth has been reduced by two thirds

The best you can do is check on the memory tab in CPU-Z that the RAM is running at 1600MHz with the correct timings.

CPU-Z should say 800MHz which is doubled as it's Double Data Rate RAM.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the info Surveyor. That is correct I have moved from 6gb to 2gb temporarily as I am in the process of an RMA. However I didnt expect this much of a difference as everyone reccomends 4gb of ram lol. Makes me want to just go and get 16 and see if its even better :D

Back
Top Bottom