Safe VRM voltage.

Associate
Hi, I have a Gigabyte G1. sniper z170 motherboard and was wondering how much can I overvolt my VRM's.
It's not the best board for overclocking as it has 3 VRM's down the side and 4 across the top. I think this is a 3+2 but I'm not sure as 2 on the right hand side are for the RAM. If I am wrong then please correct me as I'm not too sure. Well I have overclocked my CPU and find it to be stable at 4.6ghz under 1.3v. But I have no sensor on my VRM's and have no idea if this is a lot of work for a low amount of VRM's to cope with. What would be the max volt on the vcore for a cheaper board to use under stress and would this higher vcore burn out my motherboard quicker? For the record I did a cinebench test at 4.7ghz @ 1.4v and it BSOD half way through. This is why I turned down the speed and volts, but have no idea if that was cooking the VRM's. Not only that but was this the CPU not stable or the power delivery that caused the BSOD?

Associate
OP
The reason I am asking this is beacuse a 3+2 lets say @1.4v might not be as cool, long lasting or stable as a 5+3 @1.4v on a better motherboard.

Soldato
Use HWInfo and see what the temps run at, I use to run a 3570k @1.4v and the VRM would never go above 80c even when stress tested, although this is on a Z77, back when even the worst boards had half decent heatsinks.

Associate
OP
I don't know what temp is the vrm's on hwinfo i have
tz00 @ 28c
tz01 @ 30c
tmpin0 @ 29c
tmpin1 @ -54c LOL!!
tmpin2 @ 22c
all these temps are at idle.
How can I find what temp is what?

Back
Top Bottom