Samba password required

Soldato
Hi,

Whenever I tried to view the samba shared documents from my Windows PC it brings up a username/password box. The main account username/pass doesn't work and neither does the root username/password :(

Is there any way to remove the password all together?

Thanks,
Craig.

Soldato
On your linux box, run:

smbpasswd -a windows_username

Then supply your windows password, when windows connects to this share by default it supply's your windows user/passwd as authentication, the samba daemon needs these details as well, also make sure the permissions are set correctly on the server files.

EDIT: Im not sure how to remove the password completely, i assume its possible, but maybe setting the 'world' permissions on the shared files might work, i.e chmod -R myshare_folder 777, or similar, your much better off sorting out the passwords though.

Soldato
OP
Thanks tntcoder, but those commands didn't seem to help/work :(

Are there maybe any good GUI tools I could use to configure Samba properly?

Thanks,
Craig.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm strange that should have worked smbpasswd is a standard samba config tool, Samba does have a web based configuration tool called SWAT, you can connect to it with http://serverip:931 but you will first have to enable the SWAT service, how you enable it depends on your distro, but it should just be a case of enabling it in inetd/xinetd.

Hope thats some help, theres some more info on SWAT here: http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/SWAT.html

Also, I just thought you can disable authentication by enabling guest access in your smb.conf, you can also set the read only flag, check the smb.conf man files, but enabling guest access should get rid of the password login.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK Ignore!

I didn't log in as root. Or rather literally as root. In ubuntu see, so used to my account having root privilidges [using sudo].

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom