Samsung 244t

Associate
Has anyone got one of these monitors?

I am trying to decide between this and the new Dell 2407WFP. I'm not a hardcore gamer these days but like the odd game, will mainly be doing dev work, web browsing a watching movies. I have tried to find somewhere that has accurate test results for the response time of the time Samsung. It has different quoted response rates in various places so does anyone know an accurate figure for this?

Also baddass do you think its worth waiting for other 24" screens to come out before buying one?

Thanks In advance.

Man of Honour
The spec listed on the UK Samsung site is here and lists it as 16ms, with 10ms G2G. It's using the same Samsung PVA LTM240M1 panel as the Dell 2405FPW anyway. This is the panel used in pretty much all the 24" models right now as this isn;t really an area of massive development as far as panels go. There are varying degrees of overdrive being applied to the panel however, which is where the updated 2407WFP comes in. It's the same panel, but apparently with a more aggressive overdrive to boost it to 6ms G2G. I've seen some mentions of the Samsung 244T at 6ms G2G too, it might be that they are in the process of using the newer panel (since it's from Samsung themselves anyway) in the same model. I think tbh that it will be a while before we see any major changes in this sector. Responsiveness may improve with the new 6ms G2G generation, Samsung did a good job with their smaller scale 6ms G2G PVA panels like the 19" varient used in the 970P for instance.

For the version used in the 2405FPW and in the 244T listed above pretty much the response time would look like this:

latency_dell2405FPW.jpg

It might hopefully improve a little in this area like i said, but we will have to wait and see. Maybe worth looking for an HDCP ready screen, and waiting for the 2407WFP to see how the responsiveness improves.

Associate
OP
The 244t is HDCP ready which is another reason it appealed to me. If one of the primary requirements is for movies am I better off getting the Samsung which is likely to be around 10ms g2g or the new dell when it comes out? Does overdrive down to response times of around 6ms cause noise when watching movies?

Man of Honour
it can do, but depends on the control of the overdrive. With Samsung PVa panels, i would expect some added noise in movie playback with a heavier dose of overdrive. Hard to say whether you'd be better to wait or not, we dont know much about the performance of the 2407WFP yet

Back
Top Bottom