*** Samsung Galaxy Z Fold Thread (it can fold and everything) ***

Soldato
Apologies, I meant about watching videos, Id imagine there are some serious black bars
Yes on the unfolded screen in landscape mode there are bars but after a while you don't really think about it. On older TV shows from Netflix etc they pretty much fill the screen which is great.

Maybe check out a review video on YouTube to see what video content looks like?

I'd never go back to a regular phone though. The Fold 4 I have is just too good.

Soldato
That is a pretty ringing endorsement - thank you
You get quickly attached and used to the fold out screen, it's hard to use a normal phone after that. Especially using two apps at once when unfolded.

I use the front screen for quick things like replying to messages and email checking but everything else is on the main screen. I'm typing this on it just now. Used to carry my Samsung tab S6 with me but not any more.

Soldato
Grabbed a Fold 5 515GB on the bay for £825. New and Unused.

Very pleased with it. No complaints here.
Sold my S22 Ultra for £450 so it actually wasn't that much to do the "upgrade".

I do however wish, that the width of the front screen was slightly more. However the Fold 6 might be an improvement here.

Associate
My inner screen protector on the fold4 started to lift near the folding area at the top.

Booked a repair with Samsung and they replaced it within half an hour. I went to the store in Manchester.

Phew...

Last edited:
Soldato
My inner screen protector on the fold4 started to lift near the folding area at the top.

Booked a repair with Samsung and they replaced it within half an hour. I went to the store in Manchester.

Phew...
The first 1 is free and then it's around £30 for a replacement.

The recent Fold 6 leaks show its quite similar to the current model

Last edited:
Soldato
They mentioned on an article that it's less tall, and a little wider. That's definitely a step in the right direction, the candy bar layout just makes the front screen completely uncomfortable to use (I had a Z Fold 2).

I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is though. I get the impression One Plus has the form factor nailed with their OP Open. I like the front screen on my Pixel Fold but the wide form factor does cause challenges with apps thinking the phone is in landscape mode when unfolded.

Associate
Yeh the camera and overall durability of the Fold 3 ( I went through 5) started to annoy me which is why I switched but although the S24 Ultra is a powerhouse it feels like a backwards step to me.

Associate
No I dont think so. I had 2 main issues. 1 was the internal screen just refusing to turn on and the other was the internal screen protector delaminating in the crease.

I'm told the Fold 5 is much more robust than the Fold 3 I had.

Soldato
I've got the Fold 4.

Had since launch. Only had the internal screen protector replaced in September there and my hinge broke a few weeks later. Replaced under warranty with now issues. They also replaced both screens and the battery while they were at it. So it's like a new phone again.

Apart from that phone has been perfect. Was tempted by the S24 ultra but couldn't go back to a normal screen again. So used to the fold. My only change would be a wider front screen.

Battery life is great and the cameras are pretty decent.

Back
Top Bottom