Samsung Targets Gamers With 3 Extremely Fast 990 Pro NVMe SSDs

Soldato
PC Gamer | Posted: 24 August 2022 said:
Samsung is pushing the limits of the PCIe 4.0 interface with the launch of its latest 990 Pro NVMe SSDs.
The M.2 SSDs are capable of 7,450MB/s sequential read speeds and 6,900MB/s writes, with Samsung claiming this is the "the highest speed currently available from the PCIe 4.0 interface." As the theoretical limit for read speeds over PCIe 4.0 is 8,000MB/s, it seems unlikely anyone will be able top the 990 Pro assuming it does achieve such speeds in real-world testing.

The target market for these new drives is gamers and creative pros. KyuYoung Lee, Vice President of the Memory Brand Product Biz Team at Samsung Electronics said, "The 990 Pro provides an optimal balance of speed, power efficiency and reliability, making it an ideal choice for avid gamers and creative professionals seeking uninterrupted work and play."

Gaining access to these speedy SSDs is going to require some patience, though. Samsung intends to make 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB models of the 990 Pro available, but not immediately. In October, the $179 1TB and $309 2TB versions will become available, while the 4TB version doesn't have a price yet and won't be available until some point next year.

All three drives include a five-year warranty, 256-bit AES full-drive encryption, and Samsung Magician software when used in a PC. The promised write durability varies based on the size of the drive, with Samsung rating the 1TB drive at 600TB, the 2TB drive at 1,200TB, and the 4TB at 2,400TB. They are all suitable for installing in a PS5 to act as additional storage, and a heatsink version will be made available for better thermal management.

Source: https://uk.pcmag.com/ssds/142248/samsung-targets-gamers-with-3-extremely-fast-990-pro-nvme-ssds
Samsung Official Link: https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...ptimized-for-gaming-and-creative-applications

Samsung seem to be clearing out stocks of the 980 Pro to make way for the slightly faster 990 Pro. With the cashback deal they have on, 1TB is £79 and 2TB is £142 from selected retailers. Samsung's controller also benefits from hardware encryption.
I already had a 500GB 980 Pro, ended up purchasing the 980 Pro 2TB, decent deal.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but all other manufacturer UI's for their software look pretty amateurish compared to Samsung Magician, not that I use it much. I've had a Samsung 830 SSD running everyday for 11 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom