Samsung TV HDMI In / Optical out (5.1)

Associate
My TV died on me recently so I took delivery of a Samsung QE4360 TV, my current av receiver Yamaha RX-477 will pass through 4K but not HDR.

I knew this when I bought the TV so figured I’d use the three HDMI inputs at the back of the TV for sky, Xbox series x and my PS5 then use optical out for sound via the av receiver.

When I set it all up I cannot get 5.1 via optical out from the TV when using hdmi in (only stereo so the front two speakers), only the built in apps (Netflix etc) work with 5.1 so I’m back to using the old receiver for my devices so no HDR.

Looks like I need to buy something else, I have tannoy 5.1 speakers which I like so I’ll keep those, and either buy a HDR10 AV receiver (maybe the rx-v4a) or find a way of getting 5.1 out from the tv.

Any suggestions please? (Budget around £500)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Double check the TV settings for sound. Optical our and HDMI Out (via ARC) may have separate menus.

Also look at any settings on the TV for HDMI in. If there's an option for bitstream pass-thru them make sure that it's selected.

Another wrinkle is where the TV is expecting to send sound. If it's to the TV speakers, but the Optical is working in parallel, then the HDMI handshake from the TV to the source could be telling it to send stereo. You may have to select 'Home Theater' (sic) in order to get 5.1 signal flowing through.

Associate
OP
Double check the TV settings for sound. Optical our and HDMI Out (via ARC) may have separate menus.

Also look at any settings on the TV for HDMI in. If there's an option for bitstream pass-thru them make sure that it's selected.

Another wrinkle is where the TV is expecting to send sound. If it's to the TV speakers, but the Optical is working in parallel, then the HDMI handshake from the TV to the source could be telling it to send stereo. You may have to select 'Home Theater' (sic) in order to get 5.1 signal flowing through.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll take another look but based on what I’ve read it doesn’t appear to be supported though,

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01109021/

I think I’m stuck buying a new HDR10 capable AV Receiver unless I’m seriously missing something?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not sure what a QE4360 is. Do you mean 43Q60? If so, both the TV and your AV receiver have HDMI ARC.

Keeping the connect all-HDMI satisfies the jobsworth requirement of HDCP to protect DD5.1.

Are you able to use the ARC connection on the TV, even if this means having non-HDR sources connected directly to the amp and HDR-sources directed at the TV first?

If not,then it's either a HDR-compatible HDMI switch or spring for a new amp. It's not a great time for buying new AV receivers though. Not much choice and prices are high compared to spec/price combo when you bought the 477.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure what a QE4360 is. Do you mean 43Q60? If so, both the TV and your AV receiver have HDMI ARC.

Keeping the connect all-HDMI satisfies the jobsworth requirement of HDCP to protect DD5.1.

Are you able to use the ARC connection on the TV, even if this means having non-HDR sources connected directly to the amp and HDR-sources directed at the TV first?

If not,then it's either a HDR-compatible HDMI switch or spring for a new amp. It's not a great time for buying new AV receivers though. Not much choice and prices are high compared to spec/price combo when you bought the 477.

Yeah that’s the TV, I’ve got ARC working so PS5 and series x are plugged into tv and av receiver plugged into hdmi arc port in tv and sound is coming through receiver over ARC although still only 2 ch, checked input signal on av receiver and it says 2 CH meaning tv appears to only be sending it stereo.

Surely this TV would support 5.1 over hdmi arc could there be something I’m missing?

Thanks for responses so far.

Edit fixed it, I had audio format set to PCM, changed it to pass through and it’s now all working, I have sky box plugged into receiver.

Thankyou for the help!

Associate
OP
Got 5.1 through optical now, so all sorted it was that PCM setting, no idea what that article is on about!

Back
Top Bottom