Sanity check on 1080p rebuild, budget but solid, please?

Associate
Hi guys,

Every couple of years I log back in here and start one of these threads :) I'm really very behind the times and not very clued up on modern kit- time for an upgrade, from my Q6600 :D This is designed to keep the initial spend down but with ease of upgrading since, as you can tell, I like stuff to last!

(couldn't work out the basket link!)

Intel Pentium K G3258 £52
HIS Radeon R9 380 IceQ X2 4096MB £169.99
Xigmatek Mach Midi-Tower Black £24.95
Raijintek Themis Black Heatpipe CPU Cooler PWM - 120mm £20.00
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £62
8gb ram of some sort- TBC, £45 ish.

£375 or thereabouts

Reusing my old PSU, and drives as they're recent replacements. I could save a little on the GPU but it seems like dropping down to a 2gb or a 960 is a bit of a false economy... And obviously, the CPU is for overclocking but might be for upgrading in future, the price leap to an i5 is a bit much to swallow right now

Oh and the new case purely for convenience; though I might rebuild in my old 300...

(possibly relevent; does a Q6600 G0 with board and 8gb fast ddr2, or a GTX560 with an aftermarket cooler, have any value worth mentioning? Anything I can recover from that could go into the new build. Perhaps someone is building a museum :D)

Any help much appreciated... This feels basically solid but I'm really not up to speed with anything recent!

Associate
I'd personally say get rid of the CPU cooler for now. It will be useful if you upgrade to an i5, but it's not needed on the G3258.

You can get it up to about 4.1/4.2ghz on the stock cooler, possibly higher dependant on the chip.

Associate
OP
Oh, interesting that! But maybe with an impact on noise? I'm not looking for silence but I'd like to keep it sensibly quiet.

Though with this case I can fit a larger aircooler without having to dismount the board anyway I think, so, I guess it makes sense to just go ahead- easy to fix if need be. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom