satellite navigation?

Associate
Hello Moto

I would like to ask Santa for a Satnav, just after some of your expert advice. Santa will spend about £140 but I would be happy to bring that up to £240ish if need be.

I will also be using it in my role as special constable (hope to get my driving permit soon. :))

So a nice easy to use and accurate one would be ideal.
Would also like to be able to get map updates. I don't want to pay subscription fees, if that can be avoided.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Again, you'll have to pay for new maps.

Make santa buy you a TomTom IQ Routes XL and a years subscription to updates. They aren't even expensive.

Permabanned
iPhone solves all problems and then some?!

For £140? Seems a bit strange to recommend a mobile phone to someone who wants sat nav to be honest. The internal GPS on an iPhone isn't even that good (I have a 3G), certainly nowhere near as good as on a dedicated sat nav unit.

Associate
OP
I have a HTC Magic so I could wait for Google to bring out their satnav app. However I don't want to use a phone, Like Wicksta, I think a dedicated sat nav would be far more superior.

Associate
well i guess a dedicated one wud be better. but if he has an iphone would that be suffice then get CoPilot via something like Inst###ous? ive got CoPilot Live on my 3GS. not tried it but have been told its better than tomtom! dont know if it works the same but the inbuilt map on the iphone locator isnt accurate. they work exact location off wifi signals dont they? if there isnt any wifi around it guesses your location via the telephone masts? or am i talking rubbish :D

Soldato
Its obviously marketed to the same sort of numpty who would buy an iPhone in the first place. My iPhone owning friends still keep trying to convince me the "special" iPhone tarrifs are a good deal :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Its obviously marketed to the same sort of numpty who would buy an iPhone in the first place. My iPhone owning friends still keep trying to convince me the "special" iPhone tarrifs are a good deal :rolleyes:

I have an iPhone, it's free and so is my tariff. I can choose any phone I want, pretty much when I want, but I've not found one better for my own needs than a jailbroken iPhone.

Anyway, can you save the iPhone bashing for the mobile section, there are plenty of threads there detailing the next 'iPhone killer' that will have disappeared into obscurity in 12 months time. :D

Associate
exactly jailbreak gets me the new £250-£300 CoPilot Live for free....

i dont have the iPhone tariff cos i know its a ripoff. i bought the phone outright and use the simplicity sim with the free unlimited web bolt on. £20 gets me 800 minutes and 1600 texts.

come july next year i sell the phone and get the newest iPhone because im not tied to the ridiculous 18 month contract and my phone is unlocked etc

Associate
Even if you had an iPhone it still doesn't make sense. You could buy the XL IQ Routes for the cost of cradle and software alone.

Software is £25.99, decent cradle is about £50 from Brodit for my motor.
I want to know where you're getting an XL IQ Routes for 75 quid.

Back
Top Bottom