Save teamocuk.co.uk?

Man of Honour
Unfortunately, recent events mean that the server on which teamocuk.co.uk is hosted is reaching end-of-life. I can't afford to continue hosting it myself (cost c.£1,000/year). I've looked into putting ads on it (yuk!) to try to help, but that's also a no go. I was looking to host it from home, and acquired the hardware for it, but after a month-long internet outage, I don't trust my connection.

Does anyone else here have the resources to host it themselves? Requirements are pretty basic by modern standards:
- 4-core CPU (any from the last 10 years will do).
- 8 GB RAM.
- 2x 1TB disks in RAID-1 (software RAID is fine), or similar capacity in RAID-5.
- Recent Linux (Currently CentOS 6, needs at least CentOS 7 to run the off-site backup software I use, but doesn't have to use that).

The software is largely self-maintaining once set up. I just give it a kick once every few months to free up space (I can probably automate even more of that). It's only suffered a catastropic DB crash once in the 13 years its been running (due to a power failure).

PS - since I have the hardware, I'd be happy to donate it. Would need someone with transport. It's a Dell rack server so ideally suited to a server room, but unfortunately I don't have the rails for it (or the front bezel, which someone conveniently lost!)

Man of Honour
OP
Wish I could do that! (we have ludicrous amounts of VM hardware, but the ones that sit outside the firewall are heavily restricted - and rightly so)

One other important bit - bandwidth. It's about 1GB/day up/down Mon-Sat, plus 20GB up on Sundays (DB backup).

I'll be in touch in the New Year to figure out how we make this work. I can manage another month on the old server (I've set up temporary backups to cover for the backup software that died a couple of weeks ago).

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for all the help, and how you doin'? :)

I'm pretty much out of the crunching game now. About the only PC left was the Team OcUK server, and obviously that isn't either now.

Anyway, thanks to Biffa, I no longer have to worry about hosting this myself, so can offload the Dell R5500 I acquired and make some room!

Back
Top Bottom