1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

Save teamocuk.co.uk?

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by Berserker, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Berserker

Man of Honour

Unfortunately, recent events mean that the server on which teamocuk.co.uk is hosted is reaching end-of-life. I can't afford to continue hosting it myself (cost c.£1,000/year). I've looked into putting ads on it (yuk!) to try to help, but that's also a no go. I was looking to host it from home, and acquired the hardware for it, but after a month-long internet outage, I don't trust my connection.

Does anyone else here have the resources to host it themselves? Requirements are pretty basic by modern standards:
    - 4-core CPU (any from the last 10 years will do).
    - 8 GB RAM.
    - 2x 1TB disks in RAID-1 (software RAID is fine), or similar capacity in RAID-5.
    - Recent Linux (Currently CentOS 6, needs at least CentOS 7 to run the off-site backup software I use, but doesn't have to use that).

The software is largely self-maintaining once set up. I just give it a kick once every few months to free up space (I can probably automate even more of that). It's only suffered a catastropic DB crash once in the 13 years its been running (due to a power failure).

PS - since I have the hardware, I'd be happy to donate it. Would need someone with transport. It's a Dell rack server so ideally suited to a server room, but unfortunately I don't have the rails for it (or the front bezel, which someone conveniently lost!)

2. Biffa

Man of Honour

I can spin up a VM for it here

3. Berserker

Man of Honour

Wish I could do that! (we have ludicrous amounts of VM hardware, but the ones that sit outside the firewall are heavily restricted - and rightly so)

One other important bit - bandwidth. It's about 1GB/day up/down Mon-Sat, plus 20GB up on Sundays (DB backup).

I'll be in touch in the New Year to figure out how we make this work. I can manage another month on the old server (I've set up temporary backups to cover for the backup software that died a couple of weeks ago).

4. Biffa

Man of Honour

OK, in the meantime I'll set one up and send you the login details, I'll just do the base install of Centos 7 and let you add what you need.

5. BaBa

Hitman

Hi guys not been so active round here recently but happy to chip in if required.
    Biffa if you need any hardware drives or ram etc drop me a PM.

6. Biffa

Man of Honour

Hey matey! How you doin? :)

7. BaBa

Hitman

All good thanks ,working hard and playing with some new Epyc toys:)

Been lurking and doing a little CPDN.

8. Berserker

Man of Honour

Thanks for all the help, and how you doin'? :)

I'm pretty much out of the crunching game now. About the only PC left was the Team OcUK server, and obviously that isn't either now.

Anyway, thanks to Biffa, I no longer have to worry about hosting this myself, so can offload the Dell R5500 I acquired and make some room!

9. BaBa

Hitman

All looking good but not at all ready for Christmas as usual;)
    Not crunching as much either, when I get chance I have a run at CPDN but most of my rigs are doing real work just now.

10. Biffa

Man of Honour

Getting there with setting it up, doing it in the spare moments between life and sleep :)

Got the VM up and running with 8GB, 4 cores, and 2TB of space, Centos 7 minimal install, just gotta nail down the access and security and some default services.

11. Berserker

Man of Honour

2TB?! That's suitably generous - I probably won't upload the 500GB+ of historical data back to 2004/5 that's on the old server, unless you want me to. :)

12. BaBa

Hitman

Have you got this up and running because the site seems really snappy today:)

13. Biffa

Man of Honour

Well you mentioned "- 2x 1TB disks in RAID-1 (software RAID is fine), or similar capacity in RAID-5."

So I thought you needed 2TB, but I guess you need only need 1TB if its RAID1 :o

Sorry for delay, put things on hold over the holidays, but back now so can get some more done.

14. davidrainbird

Gangster

Oh wow, love that little site, much appreciation from me over the years of using it. I doubt i can help in any way but wanted to post to say big thanks.

15. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

Whats this do? From a quick Google of SETI you have been paying a grand to listen to radio transmissions for aliens?

16. Berserker

Man of Honour

No aliens were searched for on this hardware.

They may have been searched for on other hardware.