SB Water Blocks?

Associate
I've just got my new motherboard, EVGA 680i :D

I noticed on the box it's recomended to use the extra fan for cooling the NB and SB. I will be overclocking.

I dont want to use that little fan as I like my systems very quite :cool:

And I guess it wouldn't be wise to overclock and not use that fan, so i'm going to add a water block to the NB. Is there any SB water blocks you can buy? Because i'd be back at stage one if I had to use a little fan on the SB. I don't evan know how hot the SB gets? could I use passive cooling on it?

Thanks guys, any suggestions would be great :)

Man of Honour
I use a mcw30 for the NB and a vantec iceberg fan for the SB. The SB looks to be similar if not the same fitment as old NF4 so if you really wanted to WC the SB then I would go for one of them blocks. The problem however is that if you have a graphics card in the top slot wc the southbridge is gonna be nigh on impossible unless you also watercool the graphics card as my 8800gtx covers the SB.

Heres a couple of pics :

Picture028.jpg

Picture034.jpg

as you can see its gonna be difficult wc the SB.

The vantec fan is SILENT on 50% (hooked it up to the NB fan point so its controllable).

One thing I would say is that its pointless wcing the NB&SB for performance as it is not needed - the nb&sb blocks only add to restriction of the loop and will actually lower performance of your watercooling in most cases. I did it for silence, nothing more.

Man of Honour
hardc0re_tid said:
are some southbridge h/s not mounted in a similar way to the NB? ie, 2 pins which push through the board?

The NB is 4 pins. SB is 2 pins. As said the SB looks very much like the same size as NF4 (DFI lanparty to be exact).

Associate
OP
Thanks w3bbs ;)

Wounder if I could swap the stock fan out for a quiter one and just use that on 50% to cool both the NB & SB?

Man of Honour
If you don't mind the ghetto look then a 120mm over the NB heatsink works verywell. Elastic bands and tie wraps are a godsend tbh :)

Associate
OP
Hi again! just bumping this to ask another thing.

I've been thinking about getting the vantec iceberg, and using it on 50% RPM. Wouldn't the stock HSF that you get with the evga 680 be just as quiet as the vantec iceberg?

Man of Honour
Can't hear the iceberg @50% although its very whiney @ 100%

I could hear the stock HS&F @ 50%. Not entirely sure its worth the hassle unless you are a silence freak as the NB block will restrict flow and will effect performance if you have a poor pump.

Soldato
I have a block fro the SB of this board, though i dont have the board atm :mad: my sb was at 70c when under the heatsink that came with the board (i cut the heatpipe to watercool the nb)

i dont know the manufacturer of it and where i bought it have stopped selling it!!

tbh though watercooling the sb really has no perfomance increase, whereas water cooling the nb will help with overcloking

Associate
EK NF4 1.1 fits if you reverse the mounting bolts and push them through from the top side of the board, you will have to cut the bolts down in length but it will fit.

Alternatively the Swiftech MCW-30 fits relatively pain free but doesn't look as good as the EK one.

Soldato
coming back to the block i was suggesting here is its name "MIPS EVGA 680i Southbridge Freezer" its 1.5mm thicker than the stock block that comes with the board slighty heavy too but works a treat though blocks usage of the 3rd PCI-E slot

Back
Top Bottom