Scoring to alloys after wheel nuts removed at recent service. Thoughts?

MrM

MrM

Associate
Hi All,

I wanted to seek your opinion on a matter. I took my car (2017 RR Sport) in for its 2nd service at the weekend, and amongst other things it had a brake fluid change necessitating the wheels to be taken off. I always give the car a once over before I leave, but admit I didn’t check the area around the wheel nuts, as I didn’t realise the wheels had been taken off at the time. There is a little scoring in most of the wheel nut recesses where the nuts have been removed. If I were to remove the nuts, I daresay I could polish out most of the scratches. Am I being OCD in being annoyed about this? If I remove all the wheel nuts the scratches may polish out, some might be too deep. Its clumsy more than anything and I get really annoyed about this type of stuff as I try to keep my car in pristine condition.

I also don’t know how I would want the garage to remedy the issue. I certainly don’t want to spend time taking the car to them to have them attempt to polish them out, and I can’t see them giving me a new set of alloys all round, so wonder if I am wasting my time even raising it, and simply ignore it and get it dealt with as and when the wheels are refurbed in the future. A quick search in the web shows relatively few gripes about this, more damage to the face of the alloy when removing wheels. Strangely I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this on other cars I have had.

Any thoughts or prior experiences?

Soldato
I'd call and see what they say, on a nice car you'd expect them to either take care or have better tools for taking wheels off.

I always wrap the sockets in electrical tape when i take wheels off myself as it makes it a lot more forgiving if you knock it in to the wheel when working.

MrM

MrM

Associate
OP
L
I'd call and see what they say, on a nice car you'd expect them to either take care or have better tools for taking wheels off.

I always wrap the sockets in electrical tape when i take wheels off myself as it makes it a lot more forgiving if you knock it in to the wheel when working.

Likewise.

I take a video of the car before I drop it off, but I dont take detailed pics of 20 socket recesses. There is always the question of proof..

Soldato
You’d think that the garage would use the proper protective socket that prevents this. My sons Golf had all the alloys marked as the technician decided to only use a normal socket. As luck would have it when my son went back to complain there was a guy with a Golf R who had to come to complain about the same thing. The garage arranged to get the alloys refurbed but the refurb place ruined them so in the end they ended up replacing the alloys on my sons car.

MrM

MrM

Associate
OP
You’d think that the garage would use the proper protective socket that prevents this. My sons Golf had all the alloys marked as the technician decided to only use a normal socket. As luck would have it when my son went back to complain there was a guy with a Golf R who had to come to complain about the same thing. The garage arranged to get the alloys refurbed but the refurb place ruined them so in the end they ended up replacing the alloys on my sons car.

This in a nutshell is what I am worried about and why I hate taking any car to be serviced.

Back
Top Bottom