Scrapping my car - V5C vs Certificate of Destruction

Soldato
bit confused here - wondered if anyone could help please

I'm scrapping my VTI as its failed the MOT past the point of being economical to be repaired

I've contacted a local scrapyard (who seem to be registered as a local ATF) - they will pick it up and give me around 50-150 quid (not bothered about the value tbh just want rid)

BUT on reading info from DVLA - it implied I had to get a Certificate of Destruction - but then on further reading around outside of DVLA it seems not so clear ?

Scrapyard seems to suggest (which on reading around seems correct but wanted to check please) - that I fill out (with them) the V5C part 9 -both of us sign and date it. I then cut out that part of the V5C and hand them the rest of the V5C?

it is then their discretion whether to break for parts and or destroy or repair

hence in some cases you may never get a Certificate of Destruction ?

the scrapyard seemed to suggest I could "force" them to destroy - in which case they would issue a Certificate of Destruction - but they'd then give me less money - maybe this is the route I should force ?

confused as not scrapped a car in a long while - 2 of the MOT failures are classed as "dangerous" - so I can't drive the car - I need it to be picked up

thanks for any help

tnx

tnx

Associate
I scrapped my old car just three months back.
I went online and found a local scrapper willing to take it away.
They sent a low loader round and took my car away.
I did not bother with the certivicate of destruction.
The important thing is to get the scrappper to fill in the V5.

I made sure I took notes of their name and addy and I promptly posted it off.
Took a few weeks, 3 or 4 and I got official notice from DVLA that I no longer was the registered keeper.
I have kept this in a safe place, just like I do when I sell my cars on.

Soldato
OP
thanks tnx - thats what the local scrapyard dealer is suggesting the process is

just its conflicting info from the DVLA as in a lot of places they suggest the only "legit" way is to get a COD

presumably when you filled in Section 9 - you then handed the rest of the V5C over to the scrapyard ?

thanks - can't believe getting rid of a car at (perceived) end of life (to me) seems more complicated than selling it

tnx

tnx

Associate
Do you give them the rest of the V5 ?
Sorry to be honest I can not remember that bit.

I actually broke my car and sold the bits off.
It was a sort of rare model and some bits were like gold dust and sold for a song.
Got roughly £950 in for bits.
The scrappers gave me nothing though.
Just make sure it is rolling with all four wheels.

Don't worry about it really. It is just like selling a car. Just take a note of their details before posting off the V5. Just like you would if you sold it.

Bat

Bat

Associate
I looked into this recently after scrapping a car and having no COD.

Legally all you have to do is inform the DVLA that the car has been scrapped and you now longer own it. I did this by letter, and received the usual confirmation back to say I am no longer responsible for the vehicle. I didn't even send any part of the V5.

Soldato
Why not advertise it on ebay or gumtree, get some money for it and let someone else deal with taking it away?

Back
Top Bottom