Screen garbage when trying to wake my monitor

Associate
Hi all,
I have this wonderful issue when I restart my PC, or the monitor goes to sleep and then attempts to wake.
The PC hasn't crashed, I can still remote onto it. but the display to the monitor is pooped. turning the screen off and on makes no change, it just comes back with the same display as below.

I have bypassed the issue by turning off screen sleep and using a blank screen screensaver instead, but restarts (windows updates etc) are a pain as I need to turn off to 'reboot'

I have moved from X99 to AM4 with a fresh install and latest drivers (although the same GPU, a 1080ti)
I have also performed a GPU firmware upgrade to the GPU too.

Has anyone else come across this issue before? I think monitor firmware is the next call, but the buttons on my screen don't work overly well and I'm a little hesitant to run that.

Is there anything else that it could be?

MYRXElX.jpg

Man of Honour
Try disabling fast startup and hibernation if enabled, purge the hibernation file, reboot, re-enable (if previously enabled) and reboot again.

Associate
OP
Try disabling fast startup and hibernation if enabled, purge the hibernation file, reboot, re-enable (if previously enabled) and reboot again.
Thanks for the suggestion, have just attempted this - sadly it still exhibited the same issue during restarts even after making the suggested change

Soldato
What inputs does the monitor have and how are you connected to it? Is it possible to try a different input? Like say you are connected via HDMI, can you try display port or vice versa? Change to a different output on the graphics card as well but do one thing at a time to see if it goes away. Try a different cable too.
Then plug the PC into a TV or other monitor you have in the house and see if the issue goes away.
Having done the above you surely will have it isolated to whether it is monitor/gpu/cable or some combination causing a handshake issue?

Associate
OP
What inputs does the monitor have and how are you connected to it? Is it possible to try a different input? Like say you are connected via HDMI, can you try display port or vice versa? Change to a different output on the graphics card as well but do one thing at a time to see if it goes away. Try a different cable too.
Then plug the PC into a TV or other monitor you have in the house and see if the issue goes away.
Having done the above you surely will have it isolated to whether it is monitor/gpu/cable or some combination causing a handshake issue?

sure, the monitor has DisplayPort and HDMI, the issue only seems to happen on DisplayPort, but, I only get 144hz on DisplayPort. (hence the GPU firmware update)
have tried a new cable, same issue.

Soldato
I assume those curvy partially brightness variation and partially coloured things are artefacts from interaction of camera's pixels and monitor's pixels.
That would leave perfectly vertical and horizontal stripes.
And that hints to issue being in monitor's circuitry sending those line and row commands to LCD matrix, or its wiring.

Associate
OP
I assume those curvy partially brightness variation and partially coloured things are artefacts from interaction of camera's pixels and monitor's pixels.
That would leave perfectly vertical and horizontal stripes.
And that hints to issue being in monitor's circuitry sending those line and row commands to LCD matrix, or its wiring.
yep, it is just vertical and horizontal lines.

it's just odd that it only does it from wake/reboot.
if i dont do either, it can stay online for literally days!

Back
Top Bottom