• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Screen tearing / Artifacting

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm getting strange things all over my screen - Link to a video is HERE

Do you think I should RMA the card?

My rig is:

I5 2500k @ Stock
Asrock Z68 Extreme GEN4
8GB Gskill DDR3 1600mhz
128gb SSD
1TB Mechanical Drive (Gaming drive)
750w XFX modular PSU

I play CS:GO as well and I don't get these graphical glitches. I've also run haven / furmark and again they don't appear. Seems to only really happen in BFH.

Tried all the drivers etc.

Just wanted an opinion if you thought it would be worth sending it back to gigabyte.

It's a Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce 3X. I've updated the VBIOS as well to Gigabytes latest.

Temps all stay below 65c.

If you google "Gigabyte r9 280x artifacts" there are so many articles relating to the same problem but I just wanted a second opinion really.

Associate
OP
Can't seem to recreate it in heaven 4.0 to be honest or CS:GO. I do however get a green line shoot down my screen when booting and a white line shoot down my screen when changing resoloution.

Don't know if any of these also point to a graphics card failure

Associate
OP
I do have a TV with HDMI, I guess I could give that a go. I have replaced the DVI lead and that didn't help things.

Sometimes I can play for a while without issues and sometimes its instantly there.

Associate
I'm having the exact same issue in GTA V. I've tested both of my cards individually and it's happening on both. The chance of both cards have gubbed VRAM at the same time is unlikely. I reckon it might be a driver issue.

Associate
OP
Thing that worries me is the same green line that shoots down the screen in POST. This is before any drivers even load and it doesnt happen using onboard graphics ruling out monitor.

Just noticed you have a 280x too... Maybe these cards cant handle the factory overclocks?

Associate
Doubt it. Both of mine were running perfectly and I just happen to come across problems when I updated the driver and it only happens in GTA V.

No idea about the lines during POST though, sorry.

Soldato
Not trying to hijack the thread but since i have almost identical system to the OP's i thought i'd share the fact that i'm having similar issues.

MhR4Owm.jpg

dqsuviJ.jpg

zfQScTO.jpg

I actually noticed something similar in Cities Skylines although much less obvious than this. Card is at stock factory settings (not OC'd as in my sig) and temps in the 60's.

:(

Associate
I have been having the exact same issue in GTA V as you, Goose but I'm not at all convinced that it's a hardware problem. I've been looking online and others are having the exact same problem but most of the time it appears to only happen in a couple of games and not all of them. I've not had time to test any other games but I can test more tonight and see what the outcome is.

Saying that though, you are having these problems on a 280X as well...

Soldato
If it not hardware then I guess it has to be a driver problem as i've noticed it in Cities Skylines too, albeit to a much lesser extent. I just ran Heaven a couple of times without issue.

As luck would have it i bought another 280X to Xfire which arrived this morning so I'll be able to swap the cards out and see if it keeps happening.

Associate
OP
Thanks for posting goose. Would be really interested in knowing the results when you use the other card. Seems strange that we all have 280x and suffer from exactly the same issues.

Soldato
Played again just now and couldn't seem to replicate the artifacting. Will try with the new card for a while and see what happens and then try Xfire tomorrow.

I think there's a good chance it's driver related.

Associate
OP
Seems strange though if the new card is running the same drivers and you don't have the problem now? Surely that points to card failure?

Keep me updated if you don't mind bud. So close to sending this back

Soldato
Seems strange though if the new card is running the same drivers and you don't have the problem now? Surely that points to card failure?

Keep me updated if you don't mind bud. So close to sending this back

I meant the old card wasn't reproducing the problem today, have yet to try the new card.

Back
Top Bottom