Scribing for multiple walls

Soldato
I've watched various videos online about this and still seem to struggle to get my head around doing it properly!

I think that if i was just scribing a shelf against one wall i'd be able to do a reasonable job. However my question comes when you're fitting something like Alcove units and you need to scribe something to 3 walls.

Do you just have the use some scrap wood, do each wall individually and then transfer the lines onto the finished piece or is there a better way to go about it?

Soldato
So the only thing needing 3 scribes would be a cabinet top or a shelf presumably. I did this recently.

Cut the top square so projection from deepest part of the alcove to desired finish point was correct, and then scribed the sides by angling piece into alcove (i.e., it's too big initially to go in horizontal) and marking. Might take a few passed to get spot on.

Once it fits in, but the back profile needs work, scribe the back. Unless the side scribes are really gnarly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Caporegime
For shelves or units into alcoves, I tend to cut a piece of cardboard or hardboard and use as a template, and cut the final piece according to the template.

Soldato
I'm not fully understanding what you're wanting to achieve? Is it an alcove unit with 2 walls protruding either side and the ceiling you're wanting to put filler strips in? I can explain the process in full once I know what the job is

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's an alcove unit. To go to the right of the fire place

x5G4uAd.png

It's not a very deep fireplace looking at it, so i imagine it'll actually be fairly easy.

I suppose the main question is whats the best method, build a cabinet and then fit that into the alcove or build the cabinet straight into the wall?

Soldato
OP
Are you building the unit yourself? - That would be the plan, i'm fairly handy but have never had to be precise with a lot of the other things i've done

Do you want it to look fitted? - Yeah, as professional as possible

Is it deeper than the alcove? - Not 100% sure yet, need to check with her how she wants it to look but i would assume so as the alcove is quite shallow

Soldato
sorry not replied yet, majorly busy time end of school year.
Will put a detailed reply on how I would do it later tonight or tomorrow but it's actually quite easy once you know the process

Soldato
I always use a face frame on a carcass for the type of thing. So use a kreg mini pocket hole jig to screw a face frame together. If your unit is deeper than the alcove then overlap the chimney breast by 6mm or more and on the right hand wall leave a gap of around 1 1/2 inch for a filler strip.
Level the unit up in the alcove and scribe a false end panel for the chimney breast wall (use 6mm mdf or bead board).
For the right hand side I normally clamp 2 plastic packers to the side of the filler strip and use those resting on the face frame as a guide for being level with the unit, measure the gap between face frame and wall at the top and transfer this measurement from the right hand side of the filler strip and that's the line you want to set your scribers to and run your scribe line down.
I'd recommend cutting with a good handsaw rather than a jigsaw and back cut slightly

Soldato
I normally do the face frame out of 2x1 and have the top of it level with the top of the unit and the left, right and bottom inside of the frame just slightly past the inside edge of the unit.
Consider the height of top and bottom if you want to carry the skirting and coving around it.

Back
Top Bottom