Scythe Ninja 5 fan direction question

Associate
OP
You only need intake fans. Exhaust fans are a waste of money. Using both is like push/pull on cooler or radiators. even on twin tower coolers like NH-D15 and NH-D15S single fan vs 2 fans is only 1-2c themp difference, and at same noise level the same temps. Only time is makes a difference is at full speed, and if you are like most of us our fans never run full speed.

I don't know if you can fit 3x fans in front. Specs say 2x 120mm or 140mm. If 3 will fit, great, but if not use 2 NF-A12x25 mounted on motherboard side of fan panel and make sure you block all opening in that panels so air fans pull into compartment in front from side and goes into motherboard compartment cannot leak back in front of fans and just circle back through fans, back in front, through fans, back in front, etc. We want all the air fans suck into case to be moving from fan over motherboard to back of case and out. We do not want any of the air going into motherboard compartment leaking back to intake side of fans. Hope that makes sense.
Yes but won't the 140mm versions of the A12x25 perform better than the 120mm, for intake? The upcoming version is mentioned here: https://noctua.at/en/noctua-at-computex-2019 CTRL+F 140mm counterpart.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes but won't the 140mm versions of the A12x25 perform better than the 120mm, for intake?
Are 10 fans on some imaginary shelf better than 2 or 3 fans you know you can get? :D

I have no idea how well a 140mm version of a fan not yet being made will work. Plus we have no idea when they will come out. So if you plan to build it now, you need to use fans that you can get, not fans on that imaginary shelf somewhere in the universe. :D

Associate
Extremely sorry for the late reply, here's a diagram showing the fan orientation (case fans and CPU cooler). https://i.imgur.com/hHIlEMZ.png
I have pretty much same setup with fans, except only single push fan on cpu cooler.
To be honest, it is too many fans, but it makes it possible to run all of them 500-700 rpm, basically inaudible. Spin faster only when cpu hits 50C, which is rare.

Soldato
Good advice. My basic fan curve is up to about 25-40c @ 500-600rpm, 50-55c @ 700-800rpm, 60-64c @ 900-1100rpm. and 70-75c @ 1300-1500rpm full speed depending on CPU.

Associate
OP
Good advice. My basic fan curve is up to about 25-40c @ 500-600rpm, 50-55c @ 700-800rpm, 60-64c @ 900-1100rpm. and 70-75c @ 1300-1500rpm full speed depending on CPU.
One last thing I'm wondering is if I should get the "normal" version or the 5V version (both are PWM).

Associate
The A14x25 (the 140mm version of the A12x25) is apparently not expected until a year or twos time. Which means waiting for that fan means you'll be waiting at least 9 to 10 months before its even available, and that's assuming they get that early release. And all reports doesn't sound like that's going to be happening.

As for the the normal or 5V version, if you're talking about the Noctua A12x25, do NOT get the 5V version for your PC. It'll fry it real quick. Grab the normal 12V PWM version.

Soldato
What Meddling-Monk said. All motherboard PWM fan headers are 12v / volt power. Variable voltage fan headers vary voltage up to 12v. so all fans we use in our computers are 12 volt fans.

Associate
OP
What Meddling-Monk said. All motherboard PWM fan headers are 12v / volt power. Variable voltage fan headers vary voltage up to 12v. so all fans we use in our computers are 12 volt fans.
Ok, thanks for explanation. It was about 1€ cheaper so no real difference, not at 23€ per fan. And also had a bit lower maximum RPM. And thanks Meddling-Monk for preventing me from frying my PC.

Soldato
Is the gasket Noctua provides with the fans usable in my case (air cooling) or not? https://c.76.my/Malaysia/noctua-nf-...-high-perform-castleit-1911-12-F1817851_1.jpg
Thanks for the thanks. While we do enjoy helping others is always nice when we get thanked. ;)

Yes, you can most likely use the gaskets. What they do is help keep the air fans push into and through case (cooler, radiator) from leaking out as it goes in. I also strongly advise sealing off any openings in fan mouting panel so the air fans are pushing into motherboard compartment has to flow through and out other end of case and cannot leak back in between vent grills and fans. Air leaking back in front of fans ends up going in a circle through fan, leaking back in front, through fan, etc. I often use tape same color as case over these holes. It's best applied on pressure side (usually in motherboard compartment for intake fans).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the thanks. While we do enjoy helping others is always nice when we get thanked. ;)

Yes, you can most likely use the gaskets. What they do is help keep the air fans push into and through case (cooler, radiator) from leaking out as it goes in. I also strongly advise sealing off any openings in fan mouting panel so the air fans are pushing into motherboard compartment has to flow through and out other end of case and cannot leak back in between vent grills and fans. Air leaking back in front of fans ends up going in a circle through fan, leaking back in front, through fan, etc. I often use tape same color as case over these holes. It's best applied on pressure side (usually in motherboard compartment for intake fans).
I have ordered them (only 2 for now), they should come next week.

Soldato
I have ordered them (only 2 for now), they should come next week.
Look forward to hearing how they perform against H500's restrictive intake venting. Would be very interesting to know what air temp into CPU cooler ends up being when gaming, but that would require a remote sensor thermometer like cheap digital indoor outdoor with wired outdor sensor. Can be had for a 3-6 quid off ebay and arrive about same time as fans. ;) If you want one, search ebay for "digital indoor outdoor thermometer". I like indoor/outdoor because it give me air temp at thermeter by computer as well as sensor in front of cooler fan, but little aquarium/fridge ones can be fitted into custom hole in case. ;)

One of mine is in image at bottom of guilde in link below:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Same link I gave you in my first reply.

Back
Top Bottom