Sealed LED downlight units?

Soldato
Hi,

We're currently having a new kitchen / diner built and the electrician wants to fit Click Inceptor Micro LED down lights:

Inceptor Micro LED down lights

And what looks like a favourable review

These are a single, fire rated, combined unit where the bulb is sealed into the unit, therefore not allowing me to fit my choice of LED bulb. Apparently they come with a 7 year guarantee, so if the bulb does go I send off for a new unit, but I am more concerned that I won't have the flexibility of choosing my own bulbs if I don't like the colour.

Anyone seen these before or got any experience of them?

Thanks

Soldato
I'm sure it would do OK, but honestly I'd avoid.

Not terrible value, but it looks horrible, life isn't bad, but hardly amazing and 400 lumens is crap for 7w.

http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/downlights/

Zep1 does 770lm at 7w, frosted diffuser, IP65 and fire rated, no brainer really.

Spend a little more and get something truly decent. Call them up, speak to Guy, say hi from Adam in Aberdeen. Get good lights. If you to go a bit overboard then get some zep 6, darklights, double the price bit really the pinnacle of LED downlights, just incredible things.

Job jobbed

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm sure it would do OK, but honestly I'd avoid.

Not terrible value, but it looks horrible, life isn't bad, but hardly amazing and 400 lumens is crap for 7w.

http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/downlights/

Zep1 does 770lm at 7w, frosted diffuser, IP65 and fire rated, no brainer really.

Spend a little more and get something truly decent. Call them up, speak to Guy, say hi from Adam in Aberdeen. Get good lights. If you to go a bit overboard then get some zep 6, darklights, double the price bit really the pinnacle of LED downlights, just incredible things.

Job jobbed
Hi,

Thanks for the input and they do look like a great light. I'll give Guy a call in the morning.

Our previous bulbs were 8 x Sylvania ES63 75W Halgoens, which were a generous size giving off a nice amount of light and colour (but certainly consumed a lot of electricity!) and I would like as much as possible to have something similar but in LED.

Looking at the sample light the electrician has left hanging in the kitchen it does not seem to be giving off much light at all, I assume to the fact it is 400Lm, whereas our Sylvania's were 700Lm. I've just been doing a bit of reading up about Lumen's and a rough guide suggested a minimum of 400Lm per Sq M, so for our kitchen which is 18 Sq m we would need 18 of his bulbs, not the 8 being suggested. Does this logic seem right??

Thanks again.

Soldato
The MR16 form-factor was never designed to house an LED light source and associated power components. Any retrofit lamp is always a compromise compared to an integrated LED luminaire.

This.

I quite like the click inceptor micro fittings, though the Zep1 fittings linked to above look like they are worth investigating

As to the number of fittings, a roughly 1m spacing generally works well. My kitchen is slightly smaller than the OPs and is lit with 10 of the inceptor micro fittings. I would hazard a guess that being slightly bigger that a design using 12 or so fittings would pass the sanity test, while 8 would probably suggest that the design is a bit on the dim side and 18 might require sun glasses, but of course the shape of the room, and height of the ceiling have an influence.

Back
Top Bottom