Search terms as a URL

Soldato
Hello web techies.

Is there any use/harm or BINGO in using a google search term as your URL.

For instance.

BeerGardenpreston.co.uk

For a beergarden in Preston connected to say thekingheads.co.uk

Would that help rank higher in google. With google using the search bar for searches and URL's

Ok I've done a bit of research and it looks like you should 301 redirect to your existing URL.

I'm just thinking If I owned the Kingshead pub then people searching for "beer garden in preston" then Beergardenpreston.co.uk would rank high

Thoughts

Last edited:
Soldato
It won't improve your ranking. Depending on the company name, it may or may not be easier for people to remember the url so may make it slightly easier for people to find/remember your site - no difference with SEO though.
If you already have a domain, changing it will have a negative impact on SEO. You'd do much better with the history behind the existing URL.

Soldato
Echo the above. It would help in the long run if your site was planning a lot of other SEO, as you'd have the name in the url as well as in the content.
However as "touch" said, if you already have a domain it might have a Google authority that is much higher than the one your planning to buy.
You would start to rank for beer Gardens Preston, but.... If you put beers Gardens Preston into the content of thekingshead.co.uk and into the title of the pages etc then your more than likely to out rank the new url 301 redirect.

However it won't hurt your kingshead site to have a few 301 redirects using key search terms and if the other pubs aren't doing enough to rank for that term. You'd probably do alright.

Google keyword research on what you want to advertise and then learn what key word density is.
Try to add some content to the site regularly with about 400 words, with a keyword density of about 3% (I believe)
If you want help with keywords, there is a great add on for Chrome called Keywords Everywhere...

It will scan your pages to check for density of each word so you can rewrite it to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Echo the above. It would help in the long run if your site was planning a lot of other SEO, as you'd have the name in the url as well as in the content.
However as "touch" said, if you already have a domain it might have a Google authority that is much higher than the one your planning to buy.
You would start to rank for beer Gardens Preston, but.... If you put beers Gardens Preston into the content of thekingshead.co.uk and into the title of the pages etc then your more than likely to out rank the new url 301 redirect.

However it won't hurt your kingshead site to have a few 301 redirects using key search terms and if the other pubs aren't doing enough to rank for that term. You'd probably do alright.

Google keyword research on what you want to advertise and then learn what key word density is.
Try to add some content to the site regularly with about 400 words, with a keyword density of about 3% (I believe)
If you want help with keywords, there is a great add on for Chrome called Keywords Everywhere...

It will scan your pages to check for density of each word so you can rewrite it to suit your needs.
It won't improve your ranking. Depending on the company name, it may or may not be easier for people to remember the url so may make it slightly easier for people to find/remember your site - no difference with SEO though.
If you already have a domain, changing it will have a negative impact on SEO. You'd do much better with the history behind the existing URL.

So as I understand an already setup URL with history with BeerGarden Preston in the page titles and page content would rank higher than a The URL BeerGardenPreston.

Cheers guys. I'll save my money then... And spend it on content and advertising then.

Soldato
To begin with yes. Unless you created a site on the new url with unique content, that you updated then it might eventually find itself above the other site because of the URL's help, but buying a search term does not get you automatically to the top.

Get yourself a seo tool like Raven or Site Auditor and crawl your current site and fix any errors etc. Alt text, page descriptions, H1 title on each page describing the content. Locations spread out in the text along with keywords.. This will be better than a URL

Back
Top Bottom