Seasonic 1300w prime gold fan spinning at idle

Associate
Purchased a Seasonic PRIME 1300W gold PSU recently for my system (Ryzen 9 5900, msi tomahawk x570 ,rtx 3080 suprim x), intending to take advantage of the hybrid mode for silence at idle/low load. However, when the PSU is placed in hybrid mode the fan spins up every 10minutes or so for about 5-7 minutes when the system is idling creating a rather disruptive experience, given the rest of the system is effectively silent,case is lian li 011 dynamic,what i have notice that in the box was only 1x8pin cable (8 wires) and 6x 6+2 pcie cables with 6 wires,my last gx 1000w from seasonic has pcie 3x8pin 8 wires,i used that 2 pcie 6+2 cables (6 wires+1x8pin cable 8 wires for the gpu,could that cause the fan spinning in idle because of some issue with the power on pcis slots

Last edited:
Associate
I very much doubt that the 6+2 cables you used are causing the fans to spin when they are not required, I have used those a lot and never had an issue.

I have a Prime 650 Titanium and I have never heard the psu fan ever and they start incredibly low at 50% power usage and ramp up to be not very loud even at 100% power output, how good is your hearing? My Seasonic Snow silent in my Dynamic cannot be heard over my case fans but my 6 Lian Li fans are not very quiet even at 800rpm and I also never heard this psu when it was in another build that was quiet as a mouse

I was not aware they even made a 1300w version but iirc the hybrid mode means the fans will not spin at all until you are drawing over 50% of the psus max power output, that means you are using 650w whilst idling ??????? You may want to install hwmonitor and leave the pc idling anc check what is going on with your power usage

Now things to consider. Do you have it orientated the correct way so it is drawing cool air in from the outside? Is the air it outputs warms at all ? It could be faulty, all electronic products can be faulty even from companies like Seasonic. Are you sure its the psu fan making the noise? I would flip the switch to turn off hybrid mode and it will goto a normal fan curve where it is running very low rpm all the time even at idling power draw.

I found your query on anandtech as well, I did not know they had altered the hybrid mode from the versions I have. Turn off hybrid mode is best option it seems.

Associate
OP
-My hear is perfect still
-All in task manager is very low
-I have found a lot of people are complaining on prime units for the same issue (for high wattage models)
-position of fan in case is good
-there is a lot airflow

1300w gold prime has now up to 20% hybrid mode not 40% like before,seasonic hybrid mode is decreased almost on all new models,but still 20% of 1300w i 260W in idle is crazy so thats not the problem or its faulty fan controler or fan curve is changed a lot

Associate
OP
Didnt want do deal with a unit as i have found a lot of people are complaining for a fan noise in idle,but it doesent matter anymore,i allready sold that 1300w prime and switch back to regular gx1000 gold which doesent have issue while in idle.

Back
Top Bottom