Seasonic S12-600 S12 Series 600W Sleeved

Bennah said:
Nice.

How quiet is that?

After a PSU for a folding rig. Maybe a P4 805 Smithy, overclocked till its little legs are nearly falling off :D Apart from the cpu, the other hardware aint going to be good or anything. Cheap ass AGP or PCI-E card and 1 HD, 1 Optical device thats all.

So not after loads of power, just after a stable but quiet psu.

Does the Seasonic S12 @ £41 fill this?

Cheers :)

Yeah, very quiet and very stable with plenty of cables.

The computer itself is ~30db due to the cpu and graphics cooling, which I will change soon. But the PSU is inaudible.

I can't hear it over the rear 120mm case fan which I have running at 5v (antec model btw)

Just looked. They are £62 new :eek: Was looking for something a little cheaper as spare decent psu.

Other options inc:

Tagan 420w ATX2.0 Silent for £52.82,
Enermax 400w Liberty ATX2.2 for £49.29,
Enermax 485w Noisetaker ATX2.0 for £58.69

Tagan, Enermax and Seasonic are the main ones I will be looking at getting my Main psu and spare one from.

I'l see how the money goes.

I shall be getting the new Silverstone psu this week

The new Zeus is now up to 750W at 50°C while maintaining a size that is easy to integrate into most systems. With an incredible 60A combined (over 700W) for the +12V rail alone, the ST75ZF is capable of powering any top of the line systems available today and beyond. Coupled with higher than 80% efficiency and top quality cooling fan, the ST75ZF is also quieter and more user friendly than its predecessor while providing more power.

£165 inc p&p :D

And what will you be doing with 60A? ;)

I'm in the process of rma-ing an S12-500 from a competitor, and i've asked if they have the new revision in. I'm going to try and get a new revision one as a replacement.

Joe42 said:
Just watch that 12v rail, especially when you load it up. If it changes from the normal its probably new psu time.
Just had a quick game of Pro Evo at the highest settings and the 12v line stayed at 12.288. I know it's not the most demanding of games but I wanted to start off slowly. I'm gonna install Quake 4 or FEAR and rape the hell out of it later.

Got some more info on the new revision seasonic psu's.
This review suggests that they have gone back to using ADDA fans again rather than Yate Loon. ADDA fans were used in early revisions but were replaced with slightly noisier Yate loon fans because the ADDA fans had poor reliability.

Difficult to say if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Currently the Seasonic psu's are renowned for their low noise, and all of them currently use the Yate loon fans. If the ADDA fans being used are similar to those used before, then these psu's will be even queiter.
Lets just hope that the reliability of the new ADDA fans is better, and that they are similar to the quiet ones initially used.

It looks like some, perhaps most shops, have the new revisions. There might still be some old ones around tho.
Energize said:
I bought one on wednesday from another place and it came with sheathing.

Give it a few weeks and i think all the major retailers can be relied on to have them.

eternity said:
I've just got the PSU (A2 revision) and it makes a ticking noise. Can anyone confirm this is normal?
As i said i think they have new fans, so it may be normal. How loud is it?
Can it only be heard with your ear next to the psu?

Give me a moment and i'll see if theres an easy way to tell which fan it is without voiding warranties...

EDIT: I was wrong about the fans in my previous post. It seems they haven't changed them. Could you confirm this by coutning the blades on the fan? There should be 7.

Last edited:
eternity said:
I have my case right by me under the desk and I can hear it. Other than the ticking it's practically silent.
If you can hear it thats probably not right. Contact the retailer and see about an rma.
You sure its the psu?
I think mine clicked very softly when i put my ear against it but i couldn't hear it over the airflow noise of it, again very low and could only be heard by putting my ear right next to it.

eternity said:
It sounds like the fan inside, can anyone else with the PSU confim if they a ticking sound?
Either temporarily stop each fan in your case or take the psu out and start it up on its own to see if its the psu.
I can confirm that my S12-500 did not make a loud audible ticking noise.

Cheers Joe42.

I tested it and its definatly the PSU fan. Maybe I'm being fussy about the ticking noise. Though for the kind of money its costs...

Are you a bit of a silence enthusiast, the sort of person who would notice a ticking noise that others might not?
And do you have an extremely silent system?

It could just be that your oversensative to it, but i think thats unlikely. Rma time.

Well my system comprises of:

- 2 80mm Nexus Fans, each on a fanmate control.
- Arctic Freezer Pro 64 CPU Cooler.
- Geforce 7900GTX

So its pretty quiet.

I don't know, loudness is such a difficult thing to measure, it depends entirely on peoples perception... that is a quiet system so it could just be you...

Back
Top Bottom