Seasonic ???

Associate
So whats better and quieter then?

The modular seasonic with its additional fan?

Or the energy+ version?

Are these just re-badged S12's or are they much better? I quite fancy the modular 500w, however if the equivilant energy model saves you money and is posiibly quieter - what gives???

Are they going to bring out a modular/energy model next ???

Kinda pricey just for a modular PSU. Personally (ok so this is un-educated) I think that the prices of PSUs are starting to take the rip quite a bit. I remember when you could buy a perfectly nice antec for around £54, good wattage for the time etc.

Now with all this dual and tripple rail + modular rubbish you're paying at least £60 and upwards for a "decent wattage" now adays. Still not had trouble with my 50 quid antec truepower I single rail :P. Oh well. (I think antec still do decent enough modulars for a decent enough price though - not tested them or looked up the benchmarks though :()

Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-009-TG)

Price: £71.99 (£84.59 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Quite, more powerful, modular and a bit cheaper.

so basically nobody really knows what the energy model does i.e is it 20% more efficient and quieter because of this? Or is the M12 quieter because of its newer design?

Im only asking as mine seems really noisy and may swap it for a new version - i dont fancy the 'silent' ones as they seem a bit iffy to me

:cool:

If your comparing old to new seasonic, Early S12's were over 70% efficient, Most later S12's are just short of 80%, at mid load levels, virtually all the current S12's are 80%, but the new 'guaranteed' 80% efficient supplies have a much wider range of efficiency, being efficient from around 10% load, to around 90% load.

Whatever way you look at it, the 80% range are only a very marginal improvement over another Seasonic S12. The M12's are nice because they are modular, and it does have to be said the new S12 80% range do have stronger 12V rails. Very nice PSUs.

Of course if your comparing with cheaper brands, well thats different, a Qtec is bearly 50% efficient at anything over 40% load. I very much doubt that a new seasonic is any quieter than an existing S12 series. With the exception of fanless PSU's, and the Antec Phantom (an awesome PSU imho), then any of the S12's are about as good as it gets.

I get pretty surprised when people complain about the noise from a Seasonic, as I believe that my S12's probably the quietest componant in my rig, a fairly quiet (but air cooled) Conroe setup.

Back
Top Bottom