Second radiator- worth it

Associate
current system has single 420 rad for 8700k and gtx1080ti and over clock to cpu @ 5Ghz gives load temps of around 75c
I have found an old 480 rad lying about and could install it with a bit of jiggling about but is it worth it? I haven’t delidded yet - have the tool n stuff to hand but if the second rad will make a difference I would do it all in the oner

Associate
OP
Gpu around the 30 mark but what would the realistic temp drop be expected by adding the second rad? It would be a bit of a nightmare to put it in as hardline currently and dont really want to have to redo if the drop is only going to be negligable

Last edited:
Soldato
It may help, but would not bank on it making massive diffrence, more so if your hitting those temps fairly soon after a load is applied (at which point the water temp would be fairly cool anyways) and the fact your gpu temps is around high 30s, which shows the water temp must be around that or slightly under which is pretty reasonable.

Biggest issue, more so as you have overclocked to 5GHz is the thermal interface used inside the CPU which is awfully ineffective. Delidding will see a substantial drop in temps compared to another radiator.

Associate
You may need to increase your pump's flowrate to accommodate the friction of the additional radiator - well worth adding the cooling though.

Associate
75c is high, I would delid maybe upgrade your fans / take a look at your pump but I think a delid would probably solve all this

a 420 is more than enough for what you have, is your case restriction?

Soldato
1.35v ish seems like a hell of a lot.

I’d be trying for sub 1.3v @ 5Ghz. If the extra 100MHz needs a .05 bump for stability, it’s just not worth it IMO.

I’d put my money on the best 8700k’s doing 5GHz with 1.26v-1.28v.

Soldato
Mines at 5.1 at 1.4v :cool:, silicon lottery well and truly avoided.

A 480 rad will make a difference yes. Although it depends how efficient your current setup is. Like many have said a delid will probably make more of a difference as it’s likely the heat transfer between die-IHS holding you back especially if your gpu is so cool.

Associate
I just went from 360mm just for 8700k not delid to a delid and a replacement Rockit copper IHS. I also added in my GPU (1080 OC) and added a 240mm radiator into the loop. I am in the same ballpark as you for GPU temps. My CPU temps are lower than yours now. Stage 1 for me without doubt is the delid. I expect you willl find your one radiator will handle it fine but if you want the fun of adding a second radiator go for it. I have pumps that I am told are WAY less power than yours (2x 2600 DC-LT and the Eiswolf GPU built in waterblock pump) and temps are all good. Even when I run pumps at half power and fans at low settings the temps are hardly any higher. Maybe +1 or +2c on GPU and CPU. Maybe max.

Back
Top Bottom