Section 36 Ignoring Road Sign Level Crossing NIP

Associate
Hi!

I went through a level crossing when the lights were flashing red, I assume they were flashing red for a while. Moments after I got past the barriers started to fall I’m talking seconds it was tight.

I’m an IDIOT I’m not going to bother trying to make an excuse or give an explanation because it doesn’t matter.

I have sent the NIP back with my details how long will it take before I hear anything back? If I don’t hear anything back within a certain amount of time should i assume they are going to summon me to court for careless driving? If they was going to offer me a fixed Penalty Notice would they let me no this within a couple of weeks? They received the NIP back 3 days ago.

0 points, first offence ever.

Thanks

Associate
OP
I have no excuse, the whole situation just happened really fast and I made the wrong decision in that moment of time. I’m a complete idiot and I am lucky to be alive, why did I risk my life I don’t no.

I didn’t approach the crossings in an aggressive way thinking to myself “I’m going to beat the lights, I’ve not got time to sit and wait”... it was more “Oh **** the lights are on red as I was near the solid white line and instead of slamming on my brakes I accelerated and got across. I panicked in the moment.

I will take 3 points a fine and my life anyday of the week. I just hope I don’t get anything more serious (driving without due care) it’s going to be a long anxious wait for me.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
OP
I reckon you will get called to the Magistrates court. If you were that late through BTP wont offer a fixed penalty.

Looks that way! :( You reckon I might have to attend? Possible ban?

I’m hoping I can plead guilty straight away and take the 3 points and pay the fine and be done with it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sadly as a retired railwayman, I have little to zero sympathy for anyone who fails to observe 4 b....y big red lights strobing in their face on approach to a level crossing. If your driving concentration is that poor, need to seriously think about handing your licence in before you kill yourself or someone else. Given that there have been derailments involving vehicles in front of trains (Lockington, Ufton, Heck albeit latter not at a LC) all involving significant loss of life of crew and passengers on the train, there is a particular duty of care on all road users to comply with level crossings, same as any other red light.

If it was up to me, LC misuse would = 5 year ban and car seized and scrapped.

I assume you have never made any mistakes in life? It was a stupid moment, my first ever offence in 7 years of driving and will be my last.

I might yet get banned so i will report back to you sir with the good news! I will also lose my job if that was to happen so maybe that is enough punishment for you?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry but you come on a public forum, admit to committing an illegal act - how do you expect people are going to react. Not saying I've never made a mistake in nearly 40 years of driving/motor-cycling but when it comes to car vs. train, really it should be a no brainer. I'm sorry if I came across as negative, but when you've worked in a railway control office and heard the call come in from a driver on the emergency line that he's just hit a vehicle on a crossing and that there are likely casualties/fatalities, your blood kind of runs cold.

Sorry! I do understand the seriousness of the offence/where you are coming from and like i have said i have no excuse for my actions.

I have recently completed a 4 hour driving examination for my current job and passed as a low risk driver, could i use this to help my case if i was to get summoned to court?

Associate
OP
Why? Actually the comment below yours pretty much sums up the situation, too. Yes I'm by no means a perfect driver but I've never gone through a red light either traffic control or level crossing. I do appreciate the offender has shown contrition for the act, though as I said posting about it on an open forum frequented by people from all walks of life (including the railway industry and the police force) might not have been the wisest course of action.

'nuff said on the matter from me, anyhoo.

The reason why I decided to post on this forum was the urge to say something to somebody and I’m not in a hurry to tell my friends and family what I have done. Also it was to ask for advice.

Is it possible to be convicted of multiple traffic offences for the same incident? On the day in question the road was completely empty with no cars in either lane and i went through before the barriers started to fall, not that it matters.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Whatever happens I have definitely learned from my mistake.

I’m not an aggressive incompetent driver who goes around breaking the law at any given moment.

I will update for those who are interested as soon as I hear anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom