Section 36 Ignoring Road Sign Level Crossing NIP

Associate
Hi!

I went through a level crossing when the lights were flashing red, I assume they were flashing red for a while. Moments after I got past the barriers started to fall I’m talking seconds it was tight.

I’m an IDIOT I’m not going to bother trying to make an excuse or give an explanation because it doesn’t matter.

I have sent the NIP back with my details how long will it take before I hear anything back? If I don’t hear anything back within a certain amount of time should i assume they are going to summon me to court for careless driving? If they was going to offer me a fixed Penalty Notice would they let me no this within a couple of weeks? They received the NIP back 3 days ago.

0 points, first offence ever.

Thanks

Caporegime
You’ll hear back within usually 10 days, most likely points and a fine.

One thing I’ve never understood about such a situation is would you jump a red traffic light? If not, why is the prospect of a potential collision with a ~100+ ton train more appealing than a potential collision with a ~ 2ton car?

First offence you May be lucky, if so accept the penalty.

Regardless of the penalty, your lucky.

I lost a mate a few years back, like you he jumped a level crossing light but was collected by a train, he didn’t live to post on a forum about any potential outcome.....

Sgarrista
Commissario
FPN (no court) or SJPN (court).

Likely as the former, 3 points and a fine, take it and count your blessings for being able to pay your dues.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure they have up to 6 months once they receive your details to follow up the prosecution. I think I had to wait a couple of weeks for an SP30 a couple of months back.

Associate
OP
I have no excuse, the whole situation just happened really fast and I made the wrong decision in that moment of time. I’m a complete idiot and I am lucky to be alive, why did I risk my life I don’t no.

I didn’t approach the crossings in an aggressive way thinking to myself “I’m going to beat the lights, I’ve not got time to sit and wait”... it was more “Oh **** the lights are on red as I was near the solid white line and instead of slamming on my brakes I accelerated and got across. I panicked in the moment.

I will take 3 points a fine and my life anyday of the week. I just hope I don’t get anything more serious (driving without due care) it’s going to be a long anxious wait for me.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Man of Honour
I lost a mate a few years back, like you he jumped a level crossing light but was collected by a train, he didn’t live to post on a forum about any potential outcome.....

My mum will drive miles around rather than use a level crossing if she can avoid it - there is a backstory to it but I don't know details.

Caporegime

Sounds like a very different situation. Every crossing I've ever encountered has the lights go for 10 - 20 seconds before any barriers come down (if there are any). If there aren't then the lights usually go for at the very minimum 30 seconds before the train arrives dependent upon the speed of the train. Some can be up to 3 minutes (this is legally regulated).

Your mate didn't just jump the lights as they came on like the OP. Unless the crossing was defective.

Caporegime
Sounds like a very different situation. Every crossing I've ever encountered has the lights go for 10 - 20 seconds before any barriers come down (if there are any). If there aren't then the lights usually go for at the very minimum 30 seconds before the train arrives dependent upon the speed of the train. Some can be up to 3 minutes (this is legally regulated).

Your mate didn't just jump the lights as they came on like the OP. Unless the crossing was defective.
Yes plainly it was very different, from the witnesses at his inquest, he overtook some cars queuing at the barrier and then tried to zig-zag through the closed barriers.

Basically he was a complete idiot as opposed to an idiot in the OP’s case.

Soldato
One thing I’ve never understood about such a situation is would you jump a red traffic light? If not, why is the prospect of a potential collision with a ~100+ ton train more appealing than a potential collision with a ~ 2ton car?

Because, I guess, unlike a red traffic light (Where a collision with a crossing vehicle is a significant immanent possibility) Going through a train crossing on Red (But before the barriers have started to fall) gives you a good minute before the train has any chance of arriving. ;) :p

You could probably push the car over and still have time to spare!

(As an aside however, what I have never understood is that on the ocasions that people do get stuck on crossings, they just sit there and wait until the train hits them! :confused: ?? )

Associate
OP
I reckon you will get called to the Magistrates court. If you were that late through BTP wont offer a fixed penalty.

Looks that way! :( You reckon I might have to attend? Possible ban?

I’m hoping I can plead guilty straight away and take the 3 points and pay the fine and be done with it.

Last edited:
Associate
I reckon you will get called to the Magistrates court. If you were that late through BTP wont offer a fixed penalty.

That’s not a valid conclusion at all.

The Courts are totally clogged up with other more serious stuff (at least where I am).

FP or “no action” is the most likely outcome.

Caporegime
Because, I guess, unlike a red traffic light (Where a collision with a crossing vehicle is a significant immanent possibility) Going through a train crossing on Red (But before the barriers have started to fall) gives you a good minute before the train has any chance of arriving. ;) :p

You could probably push the car over and still have time to spare!

(As an aside however, what I have never understood is that on the ocasions that people do get stuck on crossings, they just sit there and wait until the train hits them! :confused: ?? )
Not necessarily, I’ve seen trains passing through crossings that have barely started to close more than once!

As for your second point, seen this a few times as well, once ended in a transit van being hit by a train, thankfully the driver saw it coming and got out just in time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom