Security Camera Requirement

Associate
Hi,

Is anyone able to provide some advice, security cameras are area I know very little about.

Someone (or possibly a wild animal) is continually fouling on our shingle driveway and I would like to catch them. Have a need for a security camera, video doorbell won't cover the area I need to monitor.

I think my requirements are as follows.

• Can capture night and day (with as discreet as possible IR sensors).
  • Event based recording so I don't have to trawl hours of footage to find the offender
  • Can store either locally (SD Card ?) or to Google Drive or inexpensive subscription.
  • Can be mounted internally against a window frame.
  • Can be Wifi or Ethernet as near a router.
  • Less than £100 initial outlay.
Any suggestions.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's literally just for this purpose and not general security, would it perhaps just be easier to pick up a cheap trail camera from Amazon and stick it on a tree or something?

Associate
OP
I had considered that, but there isn't really anywhere outside I could mount it to gain the height need to cover the driveway, whereas their is a window situated in just the right spot that I could place a small camera in the corner of.

Wyze looks ideal, but not available in the UK by the looks of it.

Soldato
Do you have good street lighting? If you do then a very sensitive camera might work inside the window.

IR and soft white light don’t work inside glass - the reflections will wipe out the image.

I have rigged up external cameras on the outside of glass unit threaded suction cups. https://www.amazon.co.uk/PERFECTHA-Suction-Adhesive-Threaded-Wall-mounted/dp/B09JJVHG94?th=1 and a flat network cable that passes under the window jam.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Ethernet-Patch-Profile-GIGABIT/dp/B00HHCCDTK?th=1 - just buy one the right length to reach your router. You’ll also need a way to power the camera - usually a PoE injector.

Pretty much all IP cameras will record to a microSD card but you’ll need one with good AI to pick up the right kind of motion detection without generating LOTS of false motion hits.

Associate
OP
Haha, I'm half expecting to go out there one night and find someone squatting on the drive. I don't think I've upset anyone....

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't appreciated IR wouldn't work through glass.

Narrowed it down then to either a small outdoor camera with a flat ethernet cable through the window or a trail camera if I can find a suitable place to put it.

Thanks

Soldato
Have a look on Facebook and it looks like you can pick up a Nest camera 2nd hand for £50, nothing fancy but will do the job and you can add a sub if you want.
I've got 3 of them and the doorbell, and the heating stat, and 3x 7" assistants. :D:D
They integrate very well, and record most types of motion you want.
Dont get me wrong tho, they are not 4k or anything fancy, but they do the job with no hassle.

Back
Top Bottom