Security Essentials background update

Soldato
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the background update that security essentials does? Even when automatic updates are turned off and the user interface process killed there is still a MsMpEng.exe system process still running that automatically restarts if killed.

Normally a process just running in the background wouldn't matter, but it seems like every day, sometimes even multiple times, it does an update in the background which starts up a svchost.exe which uses 200-300Mb of RAM and 30% CPU usage and also increases the MsMpEng.exe to around 100Mb RAM and 5% CPU usage. This extra CPU and RAM usage can cause huge slowdowns when I'm playing a game and sometimes lasts a few minutes. Is there any way I can get it to stop this background updating even with auto-updates disabled? or is my only option to uninstall it?

Soldato
i don't have it installed right now but when i did, i never noticed it interfering with games??

you could try opening the services control panel (services.msc) and stopping it? if you find the name, you can even make a batch file to stop it before running games and then starting it again afterwards.

Code:
net stop servicename
net start ....

Back
Top Bottom